Customer reviews

on 18 June 2016
Not so much a review as a collation of official papers.
on 31 January 2010
Under the recommendation of our University librarian, I borrowed this book and read through it completely. This books contains extremely useful information about all aspects of that violent conflict which is now holding cypriots hostages of the superpower powerplays. He gives detailed accounts with very relevant and sometimes unreleased documents. The author being British could have made the book biased but here we see the work of a true indepedant researcher with important diplomatic experience. This is the best way to see some clarity in that shamefull situation which led to an illicit embargo. You can learn everything from the Lausanne Treaty up to the recent Annan plan. If you have to choose only one book, take this book which succeeds to go beyond propaganda and can raise knowledge in the true sense.
on 20 January 2010
This book has helped me to understand the history of the country and, therefore, appreciate their current social structure. I lived over there for a short while and really wanted to learn about their background. This book provides everything needed.
on 25 October 2010
So far one of the most informative books written on the tragic situation in Cyprus. It clearly puts the blame where it belongs and reveals events and truths which should embarrass all parties concerned. Should be read by all those who wish to see a united Cyprus.
VINE VOICEon 18 October 2010
This book is the window on Cyprus as it is today and the reason it is that way,all confusion,explains the cypriot desire for independance from Britain in the late fifties,and the violence towards occupation by cypriot terror groups towards british troops,the reason a cleric was brought out of detention to run the country,and then sought 'enosis'(union with Greece),to make Cyprus dependant on that country.Any wonder the turkish cypriot community became detached and worried which led to invasion by Turkey in 1974.
I was a soldier in Cyprus in the early sixties and I still wonder about all the inter communal strife that went on and can never make sense of it but this book tells the story well,unresolved disputes going back hundreds of years,form a poor foundation for harmonious life.
on 31 March 2013
When I read this book, I realised how warped my view of the Cyprus problem had been. I had swallowed all the casuistic slogan-riddled information put out by the major strategic stakeholders in the island.
Now, having read this carefully researched book by a former diplomat, the reality of the backstage leaves me with a sad understanding not only of the reasons for the continuing and unnatural division of the island, but of the true state of international relations.
I recommend this book to anyone who really wants to bite the bullet of truth and understand why only history teaches us about relations between states, and how the hard and critical scrutiny of documents is vital.
Well-written, and wonderfully free of academic jargon.
on 6 September 2009
I went on holiday to Cyprus this year and decided that I wanted to know something about the history and background of the divided island. So I bought this book and sadly I have been very disappointed. This is a book by a historian written for other historians. For that audience it may be very good but for the general reader it's hopeless. It assumes that you already know the story and then proceeds to fill in obscure details. There must be a book that just tells the story but I haven't found it yet.
on 18 July 2015
Having read most of the literature on Cyprus (modern and ancient) and visited the north of the island many times I was disappointed with this book.
Most of the atrocities carried out by the Greek Cypriots from the time of Lawrence Durrell to 1974 has been omitted yet the Turkish acts are mentioned frequently.
I gave up reading it towards the end as I felt it told a one sided story unlike some of the other books available on this subject.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 September 2006
It is difficult to find such an objective book about Cyprus. The author based this work mostly on his own private research and drawing on his experience as a British diplomat, he presents a comprehensive picture about the modern history and politics of Cyprus. His language is clear and his arguments are pointed. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
on 12 April 2010
An excellent synopsis of the modern problems confronting Cyprus and Turkey although I am sure that there are many other issues that have an impact on the present circumstances. Hopefully a solution to the seeming current impass will become available in the near future to allow both sides to live together in relative harmony.