on 14 March 2005
This books is absolutley wonderful for babies and toddlers and I just had to buy a copy after our local library lost theirs!
The text is simple and poetic, so much so that I can recite most of the story without having the book in front of me; "Roll the biscuits, mix the cake, bake the tarts for tea..." and so on.
It is beautifully illustrated with minor details on each page that give you something extra to look out for each time you read it with a baby or small child. The series of books feature a young family of mother, toddler, young girl and a dog going to tea with their neighbours.
This book and the others in the series are a pleasure to read to my 2 year old son, and hopefull will continue to be for sometime yet.
on 11 March 2002
There are no words in this book, so you can describe the very typical everyday scenes however you like and is relevant to you & your child. My 2 year old enjoys telling the dog off for being in the kitchen and points out that the baby has no shoes! One of a series, guaranteed to delight.
on 1 March 2013
This is a simple story (which helpfully ends in everyone falling asleep), with lovely illustrations full of detail. The slightly exasperated mothers will strike a note of recognition with parents! My son has enjoyed this from 18 months, even if just to point to the dog and cat in the pictures. I'm sure it will remain appropriate as he grows up and learns to read. Recommended book!
on 22 March 2013
As with the other titles in Sarah Garland's 'Coming and Going' series for toddlers, 'Coming to Tea' depicts a fairly ordinary scene from family life. Mum has invited the neighbours round for tea. There are cakes and biscuits to be baked. Then the guests arrive. The children play together whilst the mums prepare the tea. They start eating outside, until the good old British weather intervenes. Everyone rushes inside and huddles round the Aga, and then it's time for the guests to go home.

As a parent, the thing I love most about Sarah Garland's books are the illustrations - we see a mother who isn't always neatly dressed, and whose home isn't spick and span, but she clearly loves her children and they are shown here working together to get things done. The text in the books is fairly undemanding - it really just describes a sequence of events - but the illustrations give plenty to discuss, and my daughter loves describing what's going on in each picture.

If you're looking for a realistic portrayal of a slice of family life to share with your toddler, then this tale comes highly recommended.

This review refers to the hardback edition of 'Coming to Tea' published by Frances Lincoln Children's Books in 2008.
on 14 February 2013
Both of my children love this book and it's never a chore to read it to them. My toddler loves to talk about the pictures which are fun and pack in lots of great detail. She will even "read" it to herself in this way. At 5-and-a-half, my son is now big enough for this to be a good reading book for him and he enjoys being able to translate the text of his old favourite.
on 9 July 2015
I remember this book from my childhood I'm now 30, brilliant! About to buy for my children.
on 30 January 2016