on 22 March 2017
What a great book. Very informative and a lovely (true) story for children who maybe feel that they don't fit in with their peers or just for girls who know that they can do anything that boys can do. My two year old granddaughter loves foslis and Dinosaurs and hopefully this will encourage her as she gets older to do whatever she wants to do in life.
on 13 September 2017
This book makes out that Mary Anning was only good because all the men helped her in anything she achieved - when, in fact, the exact opposite was true - she made them famous and got no credit for her work as they took all the credit -
on 16 March 2017
good condition. Prompt delivery. Great book for a young girl interested in rocks.
on 30 May 2017
My 6 year old loves this book. He's a big Mary Annings fan. He loves that she found an ichtheosaur when she was a young girl - feeling inspired.
on 13 May 2017
good thanks
on 4 September 2010
This book has history, meaning, and a good story close to home. My 6yr old daughter loved it as it was just as her interest for dinosaurs was intensifying, and we had recently returned from a fossil hunting trip to Lyme Regis. Good price & good quality illustrations.
on 1 March 2013
I always find it's important to give my daughter good, successful role models based in reality and thought this book would tell the story of Mary Anning (who uncovered many important fossil discoveries in our own country) in a way my daughter would find interesting but fun. And, at 6, she did enjoy the book and it's retelling but I feel a little disappointed that the author suggested Mary Anning's acheivements were made by her dog (who is alluded to as the spirit of her dead father) or because she was 'special' (Mary Anning was struck by lightening as a baby) rather than because she was an enthusiastic girl who loved digging for 'treasure' (her fossils).

I was hoping this book would show my daughter how, she can be successful wherever she choses because she is dedicated and has a passion in something (the real story of Mary Anning's life) but it fell just short of the mark. We did both, very much, enjoy the afterword on Mary Anning's life, and it was nice to be able to read a story then relate it to real life.

There are not enough books on positive, successful real life females (we're fed up with princesses and fairies in our house now) that are accessible to my 6 year old daughter, however, so we rather like this one...
on 5 December 2016
I bought this book as I found it recommended on A mighty Girl website [...] which promotes positive female rolemodels.
Mary Annings work was hugely influential in her own lifetime, and she is a great female role model particularly for girls interested in science and natural history. Recently my daughter has been learning about Mary Anning in school, so she took the book in for the class.
The story itself is enjoyable and informative, it encourages outdoor exploring and interest in history and nature, it also mentions the death of her father.
However I was surprised the story does not mention that Mary Anning had a brother, Joseph, and also it seems to suggest that aher pet dog (possibly the reincarnation of her dead father) was responsible for her major discovery of Ichthyosaurus, although other sources credit Joseph with this discovery.
Overall I would definitely recommend this book as an introduction to fossils and women in history, although the suggestion of reincarnation may be uncomfortable for some parents.
on 18 June 2001
This is the story of Mary Anning, the girl who discovered a dinosaur fossil near the town of Lyme Regis in Dorset. The illustrations are fantastic, with unusual detail and a dream-like quality that appeals to all ages.The book inspired my 7 yr old to go fossil hunting on our holiday in Lyme, and my 3 yr old liked the simple repetition and rhyming.
on 21 May 2011
Shared with Year 3 children whilst studying Rocks and Soils. They have been inspired by the story of Mary Anning as she was a child herself when she found the fossils. Now, my class are all fossil hunters! Lovely book with pretty illustrations.