Customer reviews

Sunshine
Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 July 2004
This is a picture book without any words at all. It tells a simple story of a little girl waking up, getting dressed, having breakfast and going to school. Somehow it succeeds in conveying a great deal of humour and warmth. At the moment my wife and I read it to our son (aged nearly two) every night; I read it first, and then my wife reads it. It is ideal for us because we have different native languages; our son can get the same story in both languages - slightly different every time of course because we make up the words ourselves.
on 28 March 2006
An instant hit with our toddler who has insisted on having it read to him several times a day since we got it and also with us. He loves to point out things in the pictures but i think it is the simplicity and warmth of the story (Daddy is woken with a kiss) that is the appeal for all of us. Because it's without words my son is learning to follow the narrative of the story through observation and attention to the detail of the pictures which he clearly enjoys. Highly recommended.
on 16 March 2009
My daughter (now 28) and I loved this beautiful, wordless book when she was little, and I am delighted to discover that it is available again. The pictures are an affectionately observant account of a little girl's early morning, from her first waking in her own room, through her softly waking daddy up and their breakfast routine (daddy burns the toast) to the family panic on realising the time and rushing to get out of the house. No words, and none needed, so that even a 2 year old can read the entire story to herself. Just lovely!
on 6 October 2011
When I was a little girl (way back in the 1980s) I was brought up on army barracks and my dad often had to be away for long periods of time. Mum used to read me this book and we used to laugh about Dad burning the toast. I imagined that I was the little girl (brown bobbed hair and what not) and the day looked and behaved very much like my father.

I remember this book fondly and loved the colours and pictures. Recently my friend has had a child and I want their little girl to grow up with this amazing book that has stayed with me through-out my life.

Cannot recommend this book highly enough - I hope to one day share it with my children too (if I ever have any!lol).
on 27 December 2012
Lovely book. I remember it being read to my younger brother when he was little. I now read this to my kids. It's a rare book in that it just illustrations and no words so you can make your own story up to it. Or let you kids do it! It works with really young kids which is why this book is so clever and endearing.
on 18 July 2013
A truly beautiful book - no words but beautiful illustrations of a family in the morning, frame by frame. I remember it from my own childhood and now my preschool girls love it too. Book arrived within stated delivery time and in good condition too.
on 15 March 2013
I love this book and remember reading it when I was younger. It is a picture book but tells quite a detailed story. Beautifully illustrated. My daughter adds in her own details while she reads it to herself.
on 8 June 2014
Book content was delightful and the illustration was first class. Unfortunately my grand son was probably too old (4 years old) when I gave it to him.
on 13 May 2013
Magical book with stunning illustrations, as fresh today as when it was first published.I can recommend it wholeheartedly for children aged 2+ years.
on 22 August 2015
Just a lovely simple yet effective story told entirely in pictures - earnest coloured pencil drawings to precise.