Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 June 2006
I bought this book to prepare my children for the forthcoming homebirth of their new sibling. It is a truly beautiful book, with soft natural illustrations and appealing text. The homebirth of the new baby boy is described in a straightforward and comforting manner. Although there are pictures depicting the baby's head emerging and the placenta, they are not overly graphic and can easily be understood by young children. My three year old son was fascinated by the pictures, particularly the newborn illustration where the baby still has a cord attached.

This book is very useful for families who do not find books depicting birth as a medical procedure in hospital or babies being bottlefed relevant to their own birth choices.
on 18 June 2004
This is a wonderful book, which was recommended to me by a friend and midwife.
It tells the story of the home birth of a baby through the eyes of the youngest child in the family.
The text and illustrations are beautifully done, gentle yet accurate.
I would recommend this book to anyone, especially if you have children and are planning a home birth. It has really helped us to explain what will happen to our 3 yr old daughter, and has helped her articulate her questions and excitement!
on 5 March 2011
I bought this book after dismissing 'There's A House Inside My Mummy' and others for being to twee, mysterious (mum disappears off and re-appears with baby) and all about hospital birth when I am planning a homebirth. I don't plan for my toddler son to be around, but in case he is, or he has questions, I wanted a book that was relevant to our own situation.

The illustrations are soft, beautifully done, and very warm. There IS a picture of the baby's head emerging from the mum, but she is standing up side-on and it isn't as graphic as I had imagined after reading the reviews here. The pictures of the cord and placenta are great too as these bits of birth are so often forgotten.

It's quite wordy for the younger ones, but like everything you can skip and tailor to their understanding. My son loves it and takes it very seriously- he had been going on about baby coming out of my belly button but he's got that idea out of his head now!
on 2 March 2010
my 3 year old and i have been reading this over the last month or so - getting ready for our home birth - it is great in that it is very clear about the process of birth so i think she now knows what to expect even if she does not see any of it in reality!

- it is american so for an older child you may need to explain that there would be more than one midwife

- also there is no birth pool so will not help to explain about water births

all in all a great book for helping all the family talk about a home birth
on 11 April 2010
When this book first arrived i really wasn't sure about it...you will understand what i mean when you first look at it. However we have all grown to love it. As I was having another home birth I wanted to prepare my son in case he was around when i went into labour or witnessed the birth - it was not my plan that he would be there and in the end he slept through the whole thing as i went into labour at 2.30am and baby was born at 5.30am. But just in case i wanted him to know what might happen. Our son asked for it again and again before his sibling arrived and after. It was one of his favourite of the books we got on this subject. We got it two months before i was due when he was 20 months.

The illustrations are beautiful and it is a beautiful story - though not necessarily everyone's experience of a home birth, in a log cabin in the forest etc. At first we just told the story by using more simple language but as we have continued to read the story we followed the written text more and more. Our son's favourite page is when the baby appears, he turns to it again and again and delights in saying "Hello baby!". He was also fascinated by the baby socks and he looked at the baby socks we had at home.

It was wonderful to have a book about home birth which was also a well told story and rich visually. It stands up on it's own two feet as a piece of children's literature.

Highly recommended.
on 28 September 2015
Great for explaining and preparing small children for a home birth, or even just educating children about birth. A cosy book with a lovely mix of atmospheric illustrations, storytelling and honest facts about birth. How many picture books contain images of placentas? But this is done tastefully, beautifully and should delight little ones.
on 20 February 2015
It's really nice with a book about homebirth - to prepare siblings and normalise it all.
It is, however, quite 'full on' - there is a lot of text which didn't keep my 3 year old's interest. It's also about a family who live isolated in the woods and don't seem to use electricity - which I think makes it harder to relate to.
on 17 July 2013
Used this book twice to prepare older siblings for a home birth of their younger sibling. It is a beautifully illustrated and fairly graphic (though not scarily so I think) depiction on a home birth. The family are total hippies though - living in a log cabin in the woods, gathering their own firewood between contractions etc. I found it all rather lovely and the kids are fascinated but I'm sure it wouldn;t be everyone's cup of herbal tea.
on 4 December 2015
We really loved this book, beautifully illustrated and told in a very 'real' yet appropriately soft way, the perfect tool to help prepare small ones for a home birth. Would suggest age range of four upwards.
on 4 January 2015
one of the most beautiful books to read about birth, specially to explain the childbirth to your older children.

Wonderful also for adults, the perfect gift for a student or already qualified midwife!