Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 June 2004
anyone looking for a book to interest small children in gardening should look at this lovely book, which tells how a mother and child plant a garden from seed, and also gives advice about good plants to try.
on 28 May 2014
This book is just wonderful, my three year old loves it. We have an allotment and he is very keen to get stuck in and help and now, after reading this book, wants to have his own little bit. Really recommend this for toddlers and young children. Beautiful illustrations too.
on 23 October 2006
My two young boys LOVE Sarah Garland books, and I have searched high and low to purchase the other books she has written (sadly they are hard to find). We were then glad to find this newer story about two children and their mother starting up a small vegetable patch in their small town/suburban looking back graden. It is typical of Graland's style with interesting and conversation starting pictures. Often enough with her other books (which have very little words) I would invent longer stories interwoven with her pictures and give people names etc, here the story is written out fully. Interesting starting point for children learning about planting seeds, watching them grow, about bugs which help our plants (ie. lady birds) and bugs which don't (slugs). Story culminates with Grandad visiting and being overcome by the brilliance of their small garden and then the picnic they prepare and share with their home grown produce.

Garland's books would be ideal for single parent families as the ' father figure' is absent from all of her books that we have read.
on 10 June 2008
Helpful in that one of my boys is named Eddie, but nevertheless the subject matter and way the tale was told was enough to persuade my 4 yr old that gardening is quite fun after all. Very gentle humour with the toddler, Lily continually trying to eat worms and soil: so true to life!

After having read the book my 4 yr old was suddenly interested in worms and soil and digging - no other book has sparked his interest in the same way.

Really good ideas about what to plant and how (especially a bean wigwam) and notes at the end to help parents with planing a veggie plot, but also realistic in realising not every garden has a large swathe of earth that can be dug up as in Eddie's Garden.

What I really liked too was that Eddie has good ideas that his mother adopts showing a respect for the child and that they too can contribute and are not always just doing what the adults suggest.

There is quite an obvious one-parent-family slant to the book for adults, but equally the father figure may just be away at work for those who don't wish to deal on that aspect of it. My eldest certainly didn't even question it.

Lovely illustrations and a really good read. I'd say suitable for a book loving 3yr old +. My 2 yr old certainly won't sit through it, but my 4 yr old loves it.
on 5 March 2013
Bought for a six-year-old boy called Eddie, whose family now have an allotment, as well as their garden in which he grew his own plants, so it's very appropriate. His twin sister and younger brother also enjoy this book, which I have renewed many times from the public library. They particularly laugh at the younger sister's antics (almost eating worms, etc).
on 17 June 2014
What a nice book, the story is about how the little boy starts a garden and the illustrations have lots of details along with funny little observations. The book also has information for how the readers can try some of the ideas in their own home.
on 23 April 2013
I am a teaching assistant in EYFS, we used this story as an adult focus, it encompassed our topic for this term (mini beasts) and also last terms (growth). The kids loved it, especially lily, Eddies little sister. A great book, you must purchase. Plus as growing tips in it too, so covers older kids too.
on 8 September 2014
The thing I like about this book is that as well as talking about seeds growing, it talks about all the other tasks involved in gardening - going to a garden centre to get the things that they need, digging, raking, planting, building a wig-wam for beans, watering, dealing with pests (complete with a midnight slug hunt- clearly an organic garden) and then finally harvesting and eating the produce. The main place the book is lacking in realism is that everything they planted grew spectacularly!

On the other hand, the writing isn't anything special (it feels very much like something that I could have written in an afternoon!) though it's perfectly unobjectionable to read, it's not a book you would buy for the pictures and there isn't any story beyond that of the gardening. It's also not a book that my nearly four year old son actually asks for. So I would really like to find a better book covering the same ground better but in the meantime I'm giving it four stars for actually attempting to deal with the topic of gardening properly for young children.
on 20 August 2013
Typical Sarah Garland illustrations, depicting the usual independent mum with two young kids. A good story for encouraging outdoor activity and gardening as it talks through, not only the process of gardening and planting seeds, but also the growing cycle,and the insects and birds that help out. Grandad is featured as well, as they talk about problems such as slugs. It ends with them harvesting the vegetables and having a picnic with the results. A useful list of the plants they grew at the end, with growing tips, places to plant and pests to be aware of.
on 4 April 2011
If the writer stuck to one style instead of adding in the random baby babble then it might have got an extra star from me.

I was disappointed really as the story didn't really seem to go anywhere and was quite windy and long winded. The random baby babble as I said really irritated me. My little boy had totally lost interest by half way through the book which is unlike him.

He totally loves the Charlie and Lola book, he loves anything to do with planting seeds, this just wasn't for us!