Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 February 2004
I bought this book to help explain Chinese New Year to my class of 30 5 year olds. The vibrant and simple illustrations were a big hit and the simplicity of the text made the subject much more accessible for them. I would thoroughly recommend this book to other teaching colleagues or to parents who would like to give their children an introduction to the celebration of Chinese New Year. A definite thumbs up from me!!
on 12 January 2008
This is a wonderful book that explains what people do during the Chinese New Year. Its great for younger children to read independently or for a teacher to read to the class. Each page describe is informative about the traditions with clear and simple explanations. Highly recommended!!
on 6 April 2010
I bought this book for use in a reception class. The book has been very useful to pass on information about Chinese New Year in an interesting and child friendly way. There are lovely images that accompany the book and the text is not overwhelming. i would highly reccomend this book and i will definately be buying future publications in the series.
on 31 January 2016
I bought this book to read to my Year 1 class as part of their learning about Chinese New Year. Lovely book with beautiful illustrations. Me and my class all throughly enjoyed it. Great seller with fast delivery.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 January 2016
Storyline -
A factual story following a family through their Chinese New Year celebrations of: letting off firecrackers, watch lion and dragon dances and hang up lanterns.

This book proved to be an invaluable resource on my teaching placements. It is so versatile and can be enjoyed by many ages. It is really easy to engage with as there are so many possible links in the story which can be explored to a suitable depth dependent on the children's ages. This book acts as great stimulus for discussion and activities based on chinese new year and also other celebrations around the word.

Themes: Chinese new year, celebrations, the world, differences and similarities, cultures.

Activity ideas:
- Children could use this book to write their own story about how they celebrate the new year or Christmas.
- Children can use the book to explore how the Chinese New Year is celebrated and to use the information to create a booklet about the new year celebrations.
- Children could look in the book to get ideas on what they would like to do in the classroom to celebrate the Chinese New Year.
on 29 September 2013
I chose this book because the simple message it gives to learning about other festivals and celebrations. The illustrations support the age group that we have and it enables children to know about similarities and differences with our cultures.
on 4 March 2010
Great little book. Easy to read, simple pictures, covers most of the traditions of Chinese New Year simply and the kids in my Foundation class loved it.
on 10 January 2014
This book is great.I bought as iam a childminder and our topic is the Chinese New year. This book has lovely colourful pictures and large print making it easy to read to young children.
on 24 February 2013
This is ok, not great, not terrible...I would say this is really suitable for nursery, and possibly even reception aged children. Otherwise, it's a bit of a snooze for older children.
on 5 April 2014
children in nursery loved this easy to understand story of the meaning of Chinese new year, lovely pictures and great to get children involved in celebrations