on 24 March 2014
If you were a District Nurse in this era, as I was, it is such a great trip down memory lane. So true to the way life and District Nursing was. Interesting to read that it was exactly the same in Scotland as England. How different today - loads of technology but little of the TLC (tender loving care) we all gave.
Good read.
on 10 January 2015
As an ex district nurse, cant wait to read this book. Cant make any comments about the contents, but I am sure it will be a great read.
on 22 October 2014
a must read for anyone either junior or senior nurse
on 31 July 2014
As a fellow District nurse (sorry, Sister!) from a similar era - I did my DN training in 1973 - I was interested in what this book had to offer. District nursing in the wilds of Scotland was very different from south London, but the range of 'characters' is the same everywhere. I enjoyed the stories of the patients and also the fellow nurses, though they were a bit disjointed at times.. The sample was entirely set in a hospital so didn't give a true flavour of the book, which I decided to read anyway and wasn't sorry, as I enjoy this kind of book and this one was worth 99p
. The spelling and grammar are good and the book flowed quite well, taking the author from one area to another as she relieved other nurses and just got to know patients before she was off again. I found the training quite short (3 months) in comparison to my own ( a year) but smiled at the memory of making paper bags and boiling syringes and instruments. Disposables came in earlier in Scotland than England unless the author's memory is out a bit or she compresses several years district nursing into one year.
I've bought another book by this author with a degree of trepidation as it doesn't have as many good reviews, but I'll make up my own mind. Recommended as a light read.
on 31 October 2013
Call Me Sister is the first of Jane Yeadons books I have read despite this being her third book in the series.

From the minute I opened it I couldn't put it down brilliantly written I didnt want to reach the end of the book and have now ordered the previous two books in the series and am eagerly awaiting their delivery.

If you haven't read the previous two books buy the set you will kick yourself if you don't!!
on 22 September 2014
Really enjoyed '' call me sister'' .Jane gets better and better at her description of her nursing experiences and with district nursing she was at her best . The kind of nursing which can cut corners for the good of the patient, no political correctness here , so refreshing . You could have been a nurse anywhere in the world if you had chosen so . The last half I read in one reading .
on 23 December 2013
I've enjoyed all of the books by Jane Yeadon and found every one entertaining and wonderfully light hearted, but this book is my favourite. I just love it and recommend it to anyone, especially if you are a fan of shows like Call the Midwife or The Royal.Call Me Sister: District Nursing Tales from the Swinging Sixties
on 15 February 2014
I romped through this in a single morning greatly enjoying its lightness of tone and the glimpse into, what is for me, a totally unknown world with a colourful cast of characters in occasionally appalling real-life situations. It gave me a new appreciation of the qualities needed to be a good District Nurse, a person who has daily to go into people's homes, accept all manner of different situations and conditions without judgement, and help patients to cope with often grave health problems whilst remaining cheerful and positive. This Mary Poppins also needs to be good with animals who are often as distressed by their owner's condition as if they were human relatives; the ability to cope with nervous chickens would be a useful extra. Jane Yeadon's gentle humour makes tales of loneliness and potential tragedy bearable whilst always conveying a sense of deep respect for the human beings she meets in extremis. I hadn't expected to enjoy the book because my normal diet is crime fiction but I wanted a change and I'm glad this came along. One remark to the publishers - there are many more appropriate visual images that could have been taken from the stories to illustrate the cover, and I don't think trying to tie it in with the `swinging' sixties was a help either. The book would have stood quite well on its merits.
on 7 January 2014
A great read really enjoyed it, I have read other books by this author, all of which were good reads, this one was every bit as good, hope there will be more to follow.
on 10 February 2014
It's O.K. easy reading but doesn't seem to go anywhere! Not a lot seems to happen & when reading I feel as if I am on the outside of the book, never getting into it.