on 14 November 2014
Both people who recieved this for christmas found out snippets of information that they didn't know
on 14 August 2017
An excellent book for all- you can take as much or as little information from it as you want, which is the mark of an interesting yet accessible read, a hard balance to get right! I actually bought this for my Granny's 87th Birthday as she is very much into local history, and ended up being unable to put it down myself!
The author was even kind enough to sign the copy for me, and I was delighted with my purchase, it was a very nice touch.
Best wishes,
Jamie
on 17 June 2013
This book is a little treasure. I did not know of all the hidden secrets in my hometown, My wife and I are going to source at least one a week, very interesting book, ideal size for car door pocket!!!
on 30 December 2013
I was given this book as a present by an Englishman! It's the best present I could have been given. As an Aberdonian (born at Ardoe on lower Deeside) I was fascinated at what I never knew was there-so to speak. My grandparents had a market-stall in The Green for many years and I remember the bridge connecting Windmill Brae to The Green as I used to walk it many a time as a teenager from Primrose the jewellers in Bridge Street to the steps up to Boots the chemists. It always has been a dark dingy hole! I was amazed to learn that the medieval route into the City was up the Hardgate (where we eventually moved to as my dad worked for Alexanders buses). Even Torry Coo I remember that awful thing when walking with my then fiancee round Girdleness! Unfortunately, I was shocked to see how my hometown had changed over the years when I visited in 2012. I hope you - Fiona-Jane Brown continue to write books like this as I suspect many Aberdonians at home and far away will love them as I do this one.
on 2 November 2013
I have lived in Aberdeen all my life and bought this book to see if there was anything new in it... Well I wasn't disappointed !!! This book was jam packed full new facts and stories that I never even knew. I also loved the photographs of things that are in Aberdeen that I have walked past without even knowing it was there!!!!
If your interested in Aberdeen then this MUST be on your reading list. FAB book!!!!
on 29 June 2013
This is a wonderful book - full of information about Aberdeen. The chapters/articles feature a particular location/place, but there is then so much additional information too! It was a Father's day pressie for my husband, and we both read from cover to cover, and found out numerous things we didn't know and we're Aberdonians of almost 56 and almost 60!
on 19 August 2013
If you live in Aberdeen, and have even the slightest interest in your surroundings, get this book. It is in area based bite sized chunks, so is an easy read. Full of juicy nuggets of local historical things. Loved the Bishop's submerged tomb lid.......
on 2 August 2013
Brilliant and so full of interesting facts about Aberdeen I didn't know. Would recommend to anyone who lives or used to live in the city.
on 17 August 2013
To a local I found this publication very interesting. I found out about our local history that I was quite unaware of.
on 24 June 2013
A beautifully-presented book with wonderful colour photographs throughout, and a surprising amount of historical information in the palm of your hand! Well written and full of the sort of surprises that only Dr Brown could unearth!!!