on 10 August 2012
I did not enjoy the book, I felt it did not flow for me.
I read all of the book rather than be rude and not give it chance to grow on me.

Don't forget this is my personal thoughts and experience, you may enjoy this.

See my other reviews - I do enjoy midwife/nursing true stories.
on 8 August 2012
I got this expecting something different, I guess. I usually like humorous this-is-my-life type books, but this was a little difficult for me to enjoy.

Some of the metaphorical comparisons feel a bit forced, like they were added in by a different hand. And there are too many of them. "like a..." can definitely be overdone and just feels like it was to pad out the page-numbers a little.

Not bad, but not great.
on 21 March 2013
I do enjoy the 'this is my life' style of book, especially the ones with some historical references to work in the NHS.
I did enjoy this book and will continue reading ones of a similar genre.

It was interesting to read the experiences of the trainee midwives set in Dublin and the mix of the trainees who in those days had to complete their nurses training before they could even contemplate becoming a midwife...unlike today
The book is humorous and easy to read but if you are expecting 'call the midwife' it is not. This book is focussed on the midwives training in a busy hospital where they are all trying to observe the required number of births and pass their exams. There are a several characters introduced as patients that pass through and enrich the story but it is mainly the story of the trainee midwives
An enjoyable read
on 31 July 2013
I'm quite sorry I bought this book. It's not very well written, all the abbreviations were somewhat overdone, and some of the expressions used were not used in the 60's. I was nursing in the 60's myself, and have vivid memories of what it was like. I had intended buying her other book, but I'm glad I didn't. I don't think this book is good value for money either, although it has large easy to read print.
on 30 July 2014
I chose this book as I had recently finished the midwife trilogy by Jennifer Worth and,as a nurse with 37years experience was keen to read more about midwifery years ago. It is the first book I downloaded to my recently acquired kindle. It wasn't as gripping or as funny as the trilogy by Jennifer Worth but was enjoyable reading nevertheless. I would recommend this book to nurses and midwives of all ages.
on 27 August 2014
I found this book difficult to read and ended up skimming through most of it. There was really very little about midwifery or her training and is mostly told through long conversations with her colleagues, which some might find amusing, but I found confusing and quite irritating at times. I would not recommend it. The authors' book on district nursing is much better and there are very many better and more interesting books on midwifery available.
on 27 December 2012
In comparison to the many books I've read on this subject, it didn't match them. I'm sorry to say I found this book quite boring and difficult to keep up with the other characters. I'm sorry I wasted my money on this. In my opinion it should be in the free book's category.
on 23 December 2012
Bought this book as I am a nursing student in Belfast and wanted to read a story from a past era in a familiar hospital, I really felt this book portrayed the story well. You can feel the authors passions and enthusiasm through the way the book is written. It's a really easy read!
on 18 October 2012
Excellent read, made me laugh out loud at times, feel sad at others, Great attention to detail and is well worth reading, although not quite as riviting as the Jennifer Worth series of books it is none the less a very good book
on 3 April 2014
I normally love that kind of books and I have been reading quite a few.
I've been struggling to get into it from beginning and now half way, I decided to give up.
It's poorly written, and makes it difficult and unpleasant to read. The story itself is not that great, a bit on the dull side but as long as there are babies and birth involved, it would have been good enough for me to finish if it wasn't for the messy style.