on 3 June 2017
It started off well but then became very hard to keep me interested I like a book to keep me interested so I didn't want to put it down this book didn't do that sadly
on 19 February 2013
AS A STUDENT NURSE IN THE SAME ERA IT BROUGHT BACK SOME LONG FORGOTTON MEMORIES ALTHOUGH NOT THE SAME BUT SIMILAR
on 14 October 2014
Lovely light reading and funny too.
on 27 February 2011
Excellent read, brought back memories of my training in the 1970's, could relate to lot of experiences. Was transported back in time especially the awful night shifts. Told with honesty and feeling. Would recommend particularly if you want a trip down memory lane.
on 9 November 2012
A reasonably entertaining book, though the writing is a bit clunky and disjointed. Don't be fooled by the strapline - Tales From the Swinging Sixties. Swing it does not, apart from the odd kilt as it is set in the north east of Scotland. Readable but forgettable.
on 8 November 2012
Struggled through this book. Found the story confusing at times and the characters weren't really rounded out enough to care about them. Only kept going because I hate to start a book and not finish it.
on 24 December 2011
This book was something of a disappointment. I felt that the book seemed more like a novel than a memoir and I found the author's style of writing to be ambiguous and inconsistent with a non-fiction book. I found her lengthy portions of dialogue incongruous and that after 40+ years, it was unlikely that the details of lengthy conversations between people could be replicated and yet this book contained such exchanges numerous times. On that basis, I found these conversations unbelievable and they seemed more like "vehicles" for the author to try her hand at witty dialogues which didn't quite ring true - not what I expect in a memoir. The narrative was often erratic and awkward to follow without having to go back and re-read and it was often difficult to work out who said what in these dialogues.

I found it very difficult to remember which of her fellow students were which, as there was little time taken to describe each of them to make them distinct from each other. We were provided with a collection of names with almost nothing to differentiate one colleague from another in any meaningful way. I also found many of the anecdotes in this book to be rather hackneyed. The story of numerous patients' dentures being collected for cleaning in a basin so that they became mixed up has been related in virtually every nursing memoir I have read and it's difficult to believe that this incident could have repeatedly happened so often in so many hospitals over several decades... It would have been nice to read a humorous story that I hadn't heard before.

I felt the book was lacking in tales I could relate to and it did drag at the beginning, before suddenly launching into a gallop in the final quarter of the book. All in all, I had hoped for a little more from this. Sorry. :-(
on 12 March 2014
Took me back 40 years to the PTS of September 70 in the RVH which is situated on the Falls Road referred to on the last page of this book. The friendships made then continue for a lifetime. We have just had a reunion celebrating 40 years since qualifying as staff nurses.
on 3 April 2011
This book promised much but didn't quite deliver. The stories were interesting and at times quite funny but I didn't like the writer's style and found myself going back a few pages to determine who was who again. It was okay.
on 10 August 2011
Disappointing! As a student nurse myself in the late sixties I found her account bland in relation to my own experiences. The writing style did not flow well, making it difficult to follow at times. Much of the book is taken up with school days and her pre-nursing experience, then a few chapters on early training then a big jump to finals... Does not live up to its title, I was expecting so much more!!