Customer reviews

on 10 June 2016
I have a personal interest here-i was named Gordon after Mr Smith.My grandfather knew him,and he sometimes came round to my grandparents house for his dinner.My mum was rather in awe of him,so as I was her first born son,I got his name.As for the book,I have just finished it-truly superb.It evokes a time gone by when footballers were gentlemen,who didn't dive or cheat.It also reminds us of a time when floodlighting and games on TV were unheard of.Gordon Smiths signing on fee for Hibs was-£10!!And the punters paid two shillings-10 pence!!-to get in to see a match.Superb book about a truly great footballer.
on 5 December 2012
a biography of one of the greatest footballers of all time, by his son Tony. I always knew that Gordon Smith had class, both on and off the pitch, and this book proves it. I had no idea he was such a jazz fan - that must have made him something of a rarity in the world of football... In his extraordinary career, Smith won League Championship medals with Hibs, Hearts and Dundee, was a pioneer, along with his Hibs team mates, in European Cup football, also playing in Europe with Hearts and, incredibly, Dundee, at the age of thirty-seven in a fantastic run during the 1962-63 season. They don't make them like Gordon Smith any more. A quibble - the Kindle edition has no photographs. Perhaps this should be flagged up by Amazon, so the customer can take an informed choice between the Kindle and hardcover editions.
on 25 October 2011
My husband wanted to read this book on recommendation from friend. He thought it the best book he ever read!
on 14 December 2012
Three Scottish league championship medals with three different clubs, Gordon Smith certainly deserves to have his story told ... and this book does not let him down.
on 2 September 2015
I bought this book for my father on his 85th birthday. He has been a lifetime supporter of Hibs. He has always said that Gordon Smith not only was the greatest Hibee of all time, but one of the greatest players of all time. Right up there with all the greats we have seen through the history of the game. he witnessed moves by Gordon Smith he has never seen by any other player. In my talks with other Hibees of that era, they verified what my father told me. This is not just a book for Hibernian supporters but for all supporters of the Beautiful Game.
on 12 July 2013
This is a great read all credit going to the author . It must be difficult to write objectively about your Dad (especially when he was a much loved genius ).
The final chapters were especially poignant writing about the deaths of your parents ( when they both passed in such a cruel way ).
I must admit I never put it down and would recommend it all true football addicts.
George Hunter.
on 13 April 2013
an excellent addition to any football fans library,absolutely criminal why Gordon Smith recieved so little call-ups for his country while inferior old-firm players did,buy it you wont be disapointed
on 22 June 2014
A good biography of the greast Gordon Smith. I'm too young to have ever seen him play, but being a Jambo, I had to read this to find out why Hearts signed him in the first place! Recommended!
on 10 June 2013
Interesting up to a point, covering a period of soccer history long past but of personal interest to me. Went on a bit too long!
on 31 January 2013
A good historical read covering his playing career. Covers all the football clubs that he played for. Buy this now.