on 26 May 2004
I have read a few books on the music industry, in particular the artist management side of things, and this is by far the best resource I've found. There are sections explaining the workings of a management contract, contract length, fees, trial periods, etc. These are covered in great detail, and leaves none of the technical points un-explained. This is not the book to read if you are a band who want to get signed, because that's not the point of it!

The only problem that I have with this title is the fact that it is literally the newest edition of the MMF's guide to professional music management. Much of the text, if not all, is the same, the main difference being the updated directory of MMF managers. So if you have the Guide, don't bother with this one. I have both so was a little disappointed to find that I'd spent £11.00 on something I already had, and that the MMF is marketing the same book under two titles.
on 26 May 2004
on 27 July 2013
I was mainly interested in the royalties side of things but was surprised to find out how many different legal issues can arise. It covers everything in detail and highlights potential pitfalls for the unwary.
on 13 April 2013
What I hate about these music books is that they never give you the full story about how the music industry works they tell you bedtime stories. There is a lot of selection process, politics and game playing that we musicians need to know about and there is only one book that covers all of this.

It is rare for writers in this genre to be controversial and honest as the rest of them work in the industry as producers or publishers so they will never tell us the truth look at their preface or introduction of their book!

You can sell your own music and promote it without the fat cat that is why I prefer...

An Essential Guide for Serious Singers and Musicians is because you'll learn about:

* Dealing with bad music managers once you signed their contracts!
* Why the music industry today is more about hype than talent
* Dirty dealings which goes on inside the music business!
* Music Publishers and how they work
* Promoting your band as a business
* Why the music industry is suffering sales
* Getting your name known plus much more...!

Do a search for it as it will be worth the effort trust me!
on 19 December 2012
I graduated earlier this year for a degree in commercial music before starting an internship at a management company. I got this book to help me understand anything I was unsure of and for that use it is great! Has all the info you will need in management which covers almost every area of the music industry and an artists career (as that is what a manager has to cover). I managed to go on to get offered a job there so must have done something right and I would say that reading this book definitely gave me an advantage for my depth of knowledge.

I was surprised that after reading the first few chapters of this book that the company I worked at didn't have management contracts for their clients as the book said to always get that in writing, but just how some companies operate I suppose. It has a great little directory of managers and companies in the back plus lots of helpful tips for the day to day tasks of a manager as well as the nitty gritty side of negotiation etc...

I would recommend this for anyone also looking for an overall guide to the music industry as it covers it all. I also have "All you need to know about the music business" which is a brilliant book, but unlike this, is directed mainly at the American side of the industry where they do some things a little differently to us brits. Brilliant resource and can't recommend it enough.
on 7 January 2013
Bought for a collage student to help with his studies and has proved invaluable to him with some great information..
on 13 August 2010
great recieved okay and of great us to my nephew who is pursing a career in music management