on 16 May 2013
This is a fantastic book - recommended by a collegue, it surpassed my expectations. Divided into sections which makes it very easy to dip in and out of, it poses the most hoffic potential interview questions - but explains how to answer them professionally and politely. (Some of them seem literally impossible to answer on first reading)
I bought this before I had my first job interview for six years and got the job! I would also recommend it for those who will be interviewing others in the future, as it gave me inspiration for the next time I'm on the other side of the table!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 17 November 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is superb from 2 angles, both for the interviewer and the interviewee.

It is important to know (and most people do, I'm sure) that the best person will not get the job if they prepare badly for an interview. This includes not just the questions that are asked but also how the person turns up (too late, stressed, tired etc), how they look (have they made an effort or still in last night's clothes?) and how they react. This book gives a grounding in how to treat the interview and gives some excellent advice.

It is then on to the questions. You never know the curve balls you will get in terms of questions as some are there to see how good you can think on your feet under pressure. But if you read this book it will give you knowledge of a range of the more obvious ones (along the lines of why are you leaving your current role, for example) which you can draw on for guidance. You are given things which will give you plus marks and also the things to avoid saying. It won't gurantee success but it will give you a fighting chance of shining through.

As an interviewer it is sometimes hard to think of new, exciting questions (to keep yourself from being disinterested), this book gives some suggestions and guidance. Also, you can use the tips for interviewees as a mental checklist during the interview, and also to remind yourself that interviews are not the most natural environment and you need to make allowances for the stress of the "ordeal".

Overall, a highly recommended book and one one which is invaluable to those people going to interviews for the first or second times.
VINE VOICEon 29 October 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you are going to be interviewed for a job - and especially if you are doing the interviewing - it's important to understand how the process works. This book will prepare you thoroughly, no matter what part in the process you are playing.

While the majority of the book concentrates on questions you will be asked at an interview, there is also a chapter on questions you can ask your potential employer. There is also advice covering everything from the obvious 'Make sure you have washed' to the unusual 'Don't flirt with the interviewer, even if he or she is flirting with you, this may be a set up.'

I don't know whether this book is intentionally amusing, but I laughed at the advice not to take your shopping, children or partner into the interview with you. Presumably the authors believe enough people are making this mistake that the error of their ways has to be pointed out.

There are sections discussing types of interview, interviewing styles and illegal and inappropriate questions. Reading this book I realise how lucky I have been, for example, I've never had to put up with the use of 'stress techniques' in which the interviewer intentionally upsets the interviewee to see how he or she reacts under pressure! While this book has worried me about the sort of things I might face, it has at least warned me and shown me how to deal with them.

The layout of this book is functional and no nonsense. There are quotes, top tips and lists that break up the text nicely. You probably won't want to read this book from beginning to end, but the design means it is easy to dip into the sections that interest you.

This book has a chapter that explains what assessment centres are - I hadn't even heard of such a thing before. Now I know what to expect and how to succeed if I encounter them.

I would recommend this book if you are going to be interviewed. It will help you be prepared and show your full potential to prospective employers.
on 3 February 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The job market's changed an awful lot over the last 10-15 years. Depending on the position, it's quite common to have at least 2 interviews with a number of people and will more than likely involve answering a number of competency based questions. A friend was recently made redundant after around 15 working for the same company straight from university. After attending his first interview in over 15 years was shocked as to how things had changed, and struggled to answer competency based questions; as he had never been asked to do so before.

This book includes a number of competency based questions which have since been a great help to both myself and friends. Depending on your career, people will attend interviews every few years. The current job market, with the number of people finding themselves out of work means that things are more competitive than ever, and a book like this is a great tool to help prepare and hopefully give you an advantage over other applicants.

There are 12 chapters in total, ranging from type of interviews/styles, how to get your foot in the door, example questions and explaining gaps in your CV, to more diverse topics such as changing career and moving up the career ladder. Even if you've attended a number of interviews over the years, this book will help you hone your skills to hopefully help you get that next job.
on 18 February 2010
This really was a find. I was preparing for an exec level interview and needed some quick pointers - above and beyond simple peer group dialogue/banter about interview experience. I was not in the mood to read a 250 page book as well as prepare for interviews, but the book pleasantly surprised me with the flow, layout and ease.

Concepts are easy to relate to and the value of the top tips is the ability to refer back at speed. The Dos and Don'ts sum up sections nicely.

Simple statements on sitting upright to engender confidence but also to aide breathing, is easily overlooked when you are focused on the content of a company's last annual report.

I have worked thru different sections randomly to suit my needs and the layout and self contained content aids this approach.

A section I think that would be useful is what to expect from an HR interview - although in the "Its Your Turn" section there is a host of package/benefits related questions.

Good job!
on 14 October 2009
This excellent book covers all aspects of the dreaded job interview, from preparing yourself for the event through to coping with changes in career direction. There's information on different types of interviews and assessment centres etc. as well as some really useful 'Top tips'. As a Recruitment Consultant myself I have seen on too many occasions people talking themselves out of a job! This book is ideal in helping to prepare for some daunting questions and will help to take the pressure off what is already a nerve racking experience. A great practical guide, highly recommended.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Like most Which? books, this gives us a well balanced overview of the topic with sufficient detail to convince the uninitiated they will learn all they need to know about the topic.

Whereas actually it is just an introduction to a much bigger subject, and a serious job hunter facing a long series of tough interviews should regard this as the basis for further study. However, if you are just looking for a holiday job at stacking shelves at a supermarket then this will allow you the confidence to breeze through the interview with ease.

The key aspect of it to consider is how well it discusses the techniques of working through an interview, because these are fundamental for both candidates and interviewers alike, and I think this is quite well done.

I would recommend this to a new job seeker as an easy read full of good ideas. It is also a worthy refresher course for us more experienced workers, mainly because we tend to become too specialised and forget the wider world has other axes to grind.

So four stars, because while it is good I think it should have had a bit more detail. But then I always seem to find that with Which? books.
on 18 May 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the first book I have consulted on the age-old adage of "How do I answer tough interview questions?" It is a general overview, ie it's not really industry specific (So won't give you tips on how to pass a nursing interview or an IT specialist interview for example).

Having read the book cover to cover, there are some useful pointers and examples given, but they're nothing revolutionary, and I don't feel that it has fully prepared me for the possibility of facing a tough job interview, so for me, the hunt is still on for a more definitive guide to interview techniques. Nonetheless, it IS a good starting point.
on 31 October 2009
Bought this book on spec as going through the arduous challenges of multiple interviews. I found the key information really accessible and written in no nonsense language. Common sense laid out in a very ordered way. Love it.
on 31 July 2012
This is one of the most helpful books I have ever bought, so much so I have 2 copies and just about to order a third as I have lent it out so often to people I know! Written in a professional yet very easy to understand way, it is a must for anyone thinking about changing jobs or in the throws of assessments and interviews.!