on 3 August 2016
Can't read this the tx is far to small, really bed reproduction Kindle waste of money
on 8 February 2014
The tv production based on the book was excellent, if I had read the book first I am sure I would have found it a lot more enjoyable. Have to remember it is clips from a numerous newspaper rather than the story of the men who produced it. The content reflects the so called 'Britsh sense of humour' when in dire situations. Recommended.
on 23 September 2017
One very happy hubby, thanks x
on 15 October 2013
A wonderful find. How on earth can there be that much sardonic wit, sad poetry and satire amongst the "Whizz-Bangs" .

As the French say - "chapeau".

Eric Prince
on 14 November 2013
An odd look first world war history and a good copy of all the issues of the wipers times (the first world war trench newspaper). My one issue with this book is that I needed to have another book to tell me what was going on at the time to get all the jokes. In my case I was reading online newspaper archives while reading the book. Don't expect it to all be funny or for you to get all the references.
on 6 November 2013
read about his in the 'Daily Telegraph, and very interested in modern history , particular;ly the social aND ECONOMIC HISTORY OF THE 20TH CENTURY. JUST SKIMMED THROUGH IT TODAY, AS IT HAS ONLY JUST ARRIVED, BUT THEN I ONLY ORDERED IT WELL WITHIN THE PAST 24 HOURS - EXCELLENT SERVICE.
on 6 November 2017
An incite into the minds of those in battle, and how humour can help cope with the horror
on 22 October 2014
Brilliant book--beats me how they found the time to produce the articles/newspaper in the trenches. Modern day soldiers etc just couldn't be bothered to do it. Believe me I know!!!
on 4 January 2014
Bought this as it is the complete set of the Wipers times which is a real insight into the trenches in WW1 we have bought this with the riddle of Wipers which is really worth having too - would recommend.
on 31 August 2016
Some of the jokes are very specific to the context and rather dated in tone, of course, but that's hardly the main reason for reading this book. It's a fascinating document of an important time and place. And it's a fine example of gallows humour.