Customer reviews

on 13 May 2010
In today's times, with it's plethora of quick-fix self help books, which for the most part seem to excell in non-directive, mundane advice, it is a pleasure to read a book that reaches back through the centuries to offer sound advice on how to live your life. It is this particular aspect that places it above Sun Tzu's 'Art of War' and Musashi's 'Book of Five Rings', all fine books, but more designed for group or individual warfare tactics. This book is more than a joy to read, it has wonderful photos within and it is obvious that the whole design is well thought out. It's so good that I have two copies, one for day-to-day reading and carrying around, and the other kept safely in storage - just in case! I urge anyone who enjoys the Hagakure to treat yourself and buy this book.
3 people found this helpful
on 19 May 2013
Very nice indeed.. Amazing illustrations and a much fuller translation than the smaller black paperback version.

I am so happy I Purchased this. I keep it in a protective covering :)
on 24 March 2016
An amazing book and this edition is enhanced with beautiful thought provoking Art work
on 25 August 2013
this book is woderfully illustrated with a silky cover - great content in a magnificient cover.
A real jewel in my book case.
on 18 February 2011
This book I discovered is wonderfully designed with beautiful classical samurai art and neat cover finish which can be a treasure on any bookshelf. Inside I find easily accessible translated text of the old samurai code which contains many pieces of wisdom from a forgotten age. I recommend this book to anyone interested in Japanese history of Samurai era, as it has a introduction into the text itself. As well as wisdom and thoughtful statements, there is history to be learnt about the ancient Japanese customs and traditions which made me morn a loss society full of virtue and honour. Self-discipline at its rawest is exemplary quality in these times.

Highly recommended.
One person found this helpful