Customer reviews

on 10 November 2011
Gregory Mankiw is one of the greatest Economists of our times.
He cheekily increased the number of his book titles by just re-arranging the same stuff and chapters from one main book.
These books are:
1- Economics: contains everything. Has chapters on basics + Microeconomics + Macroeconomics
2- Principles of Economics: The paperback "Principles of Economics" is 95% cheaper and 95% the size of the much more expensive "Economics". I compared the expensive "Economics" 908 pages to the much cheaper "Principles of Economics" 862 pages and found them to have exactly the same skeleton and chapters, albeit the cheaper "Principles of Economics" seemed to be a slightly "revised" version of the more expensive "Economics", with somewhat clearer and more accurately descriptive phrases and many mistakes corrected. So, the cheaper book wins on everything. However, and probably to justify the slightly more expensive "Economics", he removed a few less important paragraphs from the cheaper version. On balance, I personally prefer the cheaper "Principles of Economics". So does Gregory Mankiw, who declares it as his favourite book on his website.
3- Macroeconomics: Is exactly the same as "Principles of economics" MINUS Microeconomics chapters.
4- Microeconomics: Is exactly the same as "Principles of economics" MINUS Macroeconomics chapters.
11 Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 October 2009
Having just started an Economics undergraduate degree, I was having a little trouble finding a worthwhile textbook. I bought Economics by David Begg due to my Lectures being heavily based on it, but found that I didn't like it so much. Then I remembered this book. It was one I'd used when studying Economics at GCSE, when I wowed the class with my knowledge of concepts such as arbitrage. Now as soon as I started perusing through this book, I realised how good it really was. The content is so easily understood, the writing style so fluid and is a joy to read. The examples used are explained in detail, but not in style which makes you want to burn the book, but in fact continue reading and reading and reading.

Others may disagree with my opinion, and that's fair enough. But From my personal, but also objective view, having compared it to a few others, I found that this was the best textbook for my style of learning.

I'm sure if any others decide to purchase it, they will be equally as happy, and will benefit profusely from the quality of the book.
on 14 May 2015
Good product, helped very much with my first year module as it was based on this textbook. There are quite a lot of mistakes in the book though which could have been sorted with better proof reading and it came with a page ripped out as well which was disappointing but at the end of the day not detrimental to my learning
on 28 October 2013
This book was my economics Bible for the principals of economics course I took at university, having never studied economics before the book was able to explain it in terms that I could grasp. A complete godsend for economics beginners!
on 25 February 2014
This book is a classic! This edition is very well written and has good examples.
I found it easy to read and understand even though this was my first ever contact with this topic.
on 18 January 2015
Bought this as part of my daughter's Actuarial syllabus. Thank you for providing a cheaper option! WOW! Student-dom could bankrupt y ou
on 15 May 2013
Explanations are often complex and not always straight to the point, otherwise it is a great book for economics and business studies.
on 20 July 2014
I needed the book for my education at University of Helsinki.
on 21 January 2016