Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 January 2015
Still reading :-/
on 18 August 2008
I found this an excellent and inspiring read. Some sections were just astounding - particularly the section on the historical consistency of Scripture and the accuracy of copying and translation across the centuries (the book is more exciting than that sounds!).

I respect the comments of the amazon reviewer Oliver Lea regarding the depth of the book and I am not enough of a scholar to tackle his other points, but this book is (in my opinion) meant to be a nice slim volume to give the lay theologian a way into deeper issues of the Bible and not a universally exhaustive discussion. The book excels in that brief.

I gave it four stars instead of five because I felt the chapter on God-ordained war was uncharacteristically weak and there was some question-dodging going on.

Otherwise, a tremendously well-written book that tackles difficult questions with eloquence and rigour!
on 1 October 2013
This is a book that every Christian or searching Theist, Agnostic or Atheist should read. It tackles the tough questions in a methodical and accessible way and dispels myths and equips the reader to content with those who question the validity of the Bible.

Truth be told, I'm no brainiac, so the first couple of chapters were pretty hard going (though vitally important to understand if you are to accept the reasoning throughout the rest of the book with confidence). However once you have tamed those 25 pages of philosophy and cultural reasoning, you are set for a fantastic explanation of the history of the Bible and the tough questions and statements that are often asked/made by both Christians and Non-Christians. I have been following the work of Amy Orr-Ewing, the OCCA and the Zacharias trust for a short while and find their approaches to Christian apologetics inspirational.

At roughly 120 pages, this isn't a long book, but it tells you all you need to know.

Read it and then read the bible (starting with the New testament book of Matthew), they will change your life.
on 28 December 2012
The most clearly argued case for the trustworthiness of the Scriptures that my husband and I have come across. We find it a very useful book to pass on to people we know who are having doubts.
on 8 August 2010
Okay negatives first (there are a few) first like other reviewers have meantioned she only brushes over old testament cannon, and also the fact this book provides a brief introduction on a big topic (however the book was very much designed for the layman to understand).

Now possitives (because there are more), The bible as a book is constantly under scrutiny, because well as books go if what it says is true it changes everything, and christians (like myself) are testament to this fact, in that becoming a christian is a life changing experience but back to the book, in the world we live in the bible is constantly under scrutiny and a lot of myths have been spread about its reliability, and a cynical attitude has been branded to it, this book is very useful (from my own personal experience) to the person looking for answers with regards to christianity, (as are most books by the RZIM Zacharias trust) anyway good book, good at dispelling common misconceptions, and a good introduction to this topic.
on 8 December 2008
The trustworthiness of the Bible is under attack as never before. But much of the distrust is based on false assumptions about it's history, origins and purpose. At 116 pages, this is only an introduction to the subject, but she deals with most of the big questions I have heard put against the Bible. Highly recommended for giving to friends who question whether the Bible can be trusted to offer anything to us today.
on 6 August 2007
I bought this having seen the Orr-Ewings give seminars at a conference, and zipped through it in an afternoon. The first few chapters are very pleasing in that they answer questions with depth and intellectual skill. The arguments are not philosophically watertight (for example, they fail to acknowledge that even someone who denies that words have objective meaning may yet admit that they have a subjective, utilitarian meaning), but will no doubt satisfy the target audience.

The treatment of the New Testament canon is excellent - though could have been reinforced perhaps by a mention of the Muratorian Fragment.

Very disappointing was the brief treatment on the Old Testament canon, which not only failed to recognise that there was actually NO fixed Jewish canon until the council of Jamnia in 90AD, but also amounted more or less to a blind-side attack on the Roman Catholic inclusion of the Deuterocanon. Her spurious claim that the Deuterocanonical books were not recognised by the Early Church is a little shocking given her credentials, and the same afternoon I read her book I was casually able to find a dozen patristic references to Deuterocanonical books.

I also felt that her portrayal of Islam was a little too unsympathetic. A Muslim could too-easily accuse her of being selective in her presentation of their teachings. I say this even though I ultimately agree with her conclusions in this chapter.

Overall a worthwhile read, but not quite up to what I'd expect from an Oxford licenciate.
on 8 September 2014
A well written book for anyone who wants to investigate the claims that the bible is true. Worth reading twice.
on 28 April 2014
Well written and presented. The chapter on women is quite surprising particularly as I was brought up with fundamentals that Sisters did not cut their hair as it was their glory, had their head covered usually with a big decorated hat and Your women are to keep silent in the Assembly.
At the same time Amy remains biblical in regard to male leadership. All evangelicals should read it

Jim Keith
on 23 December 2013
We still have to make our own final answers and actually learn to the drink the water.

I felt there were many quotations and the answers were not all definitive. It covers all the topics in depth, and asks us to then form our own answers. Its a good start to forming our own ideas and defining answers, about how we should defend our Christian faith.