on 13 May 2016
As an ex collier who started life on a council estate in the midlands I found this book quite painful to read. Made me realise how much I have moved away from my early socialist beliefs and fallen foul of the mass indoctrination and manipulation of how we all think.His powerful description of how the thoughts and feelings of the many are guided by the elite few. As my father introduced me to the Ragged Trousered Philanthropist I will ensure my children digest this.
on 7 September 2015
very well written and so very true. Owen Jones does an excellent job in reminding us how when we become home owners we suddenly think we are middle class, even though most people lived in (council) social housing and most will have bought what was council houses at one time. I have. Just about to read The Establishment now and hope its as good as Chavs.
on 23 June 2015
Stimulating and thought provoking. I read the first few chapters eagerly, but then found the book unnecessarily long. There was a change of emphasis in each of the ensuing chapters, but basically the message was the same and too often repeated.
on 5 September 2015
Great writer, very intelligent, lights up points that you are aware of in the background but makes sense of them.
on 31 August 2015
I like Owen Jones - he writes with conviction and insight. Saw him on TV and he came over in the same way.
on 29 September 2015
Everyone buy this. Everyone read this. Owen Jones is so articulate and clear, I think anyone can understand this.
on 17 June 2015
Great book, well worth reading and very informative. Recommended
on 26 September 2015
O,k, You wouldn't read it twice though. Owen Jones railing about the cruel world (again).
on 18 July 2015
Essential reading to understand how we have arrived in such an unequal society.
on 7 May 2017
I Like the author and I found the book very understandable for ordinary people who doesn't have any background in politics.