on 25 October 2015
Cressida Cowell books are among the most entertaining children's books. This is such an entertaining series. I started reading them when the kids were little but I have carried on despite the fact my children have grown beyond having books read to them.
on 2 May 2017
My son loved this book.Arrived promptly.
on 25 April 2017
Just finished this book with my 8 and 10 year old. We love hiccups adventures. Looking forward to the next one
on 12 July 2010
I have read this series of books to my now 14 year old when he was younger and my now 7 year old and listened to the story CDs with all of the family including an older teenager on long journeys. I have found them to be enjoyed by both boys and girls. These are engaging stories which are irreverent enough to appeal to teenagers and pre-teens alike, they have humour that works on several levels, and I have to admit I thoroughly enjoy them myself as a middle aged man. Above all they are, perhaps surprisingly, quite aspirational with the geeks and the weak winning the day over the popular and the thugs, and winning by true self-sacrificial bravery and intelligence rather than by physical strength. This is an encouraging theme in our society of celebrity where the popular and the ignorant bully so often seem to win (whatever that means). For anyone who has seen the film/movie the books & CDs are almost unrecognisably better, and although the film was enjoyable it was an extreme Hollywoodisation of the original story to the point of being pretty much a completely different story with some of the same names (i.e. not even the same characters). David Tennant does a superlative job of reading the audio books. He uses a wide range of accents including special ones for the dragons which are pretty infectious and I now make some attempt at when reading the books. The Scottish accent in many guises seems appropriate for Vikings (not entirely surprising given the real life history of Viking colonisation). To summaraise if you are going on a long journey with children 6-16 this will keep them quiet for many an hour.
on 2 January 2011
So brilliantly done, having David Tennant read this book was a stroke of genius. You don't have to have read all of the books in the series, but if you haven't, it will make you go out and buy them! Perfect for long car journeys - though we all had to stop in the car an extra 5 minutes to finish the story. Perfect for kids (and adults) of all ages, no more suffering with naff kids' books, buy them all of the Cressida Cowell books and never be bored again!
on 29 December 2014
a really intresting book because it is funny and scary at the same time
on 4 January 2011
My 8 year old son LOVES this series of books and it shows in his art work. He now draws very detailed dragons with lots of different "features" that he has absorbed from the books. A great read for boys with lots of humour to keep them interested.
on 1 February 2009
Hiccup is a legend in our house and we have waited eagerly for the release of this latest book. Full of adventure, gentle rudeness and silliness, viking mayhem, dragons and serpents, the Hiccup tales are like a ride at a theme park: as soon as you finish the last page, you find yourself thinking "when can we do that again?"

This book starts with our hero, Hiccup, having three months, five days and six hours to discover America, get back to Berk, save his father, battle Polarserpents, AND win the annual Inter-Tribal Friendly Swimming Race. Follow his mad, crazy journey with plenty of humour, more deadly dragons with a sense of speed and urgency racing along with the plot right to the very end. Fantastic stuff!

It is very funny and full of the same style of writing, witty pace, hilarious scrapes that we have come to love in all the Hiccup Tales.
Unlike the previous reader, we were not disappointed at all with this one. It might feel that it has all been done before and more of the same BUT in my opinion it is more of the same hilariously funny stuff and worth the read. I truly hope that the series continues to expand.
If you are new to the series, I recommend you start with book one. Although you would enjoy reading any of them first, it is worth starting at the beginning.
Full of the most hilarious ink illustrations, this is great fun from start to finish. As a guide, these stories seem to be perfect for a 6-9 yr old. Not just for boys either, this series has been our 7yr old daughter's favourite.
on 11 February 2011
My son, my husband and myself are addicted to the Hiccup books. I would like to give David Tennant, Cressida Cowell and the genius who decided to do them in audio book format a medal. The stories have everything for younger (and in my case, older) readers; adventures, boundless imagination and laughter a plenty. This one is no exception. Hiccup falls into another adventure once again and I really don't want to spoil it by telling you about it. All the favourite characters are here again. Hiccup is the lovable but unlikely hero, his sidekick fish legs is a laugh a minute and toothless is the dragon every boy would want. I can't recommend these books, in any format, enough but please, please read them in order becasue they do follow on. My son stared reading them at 6 years old and now at 12 he still can't wait for the next one. David Tennant is such a talent and an inspired choice to narrate the books. Thank you.
on 4 May 2010
We discovered Hiccup Horrendous Haddock about two years ago and have bought all the books. We cant wait for each new instalment. Each one is a stand alone masterpiece, but they also follow on and develop the characters. My boys love them read aloud (with all the voices) but have also read them over and over again to themselves. We also love the illustrations - just right! We even had Dad sneaking in at bedtime to catch up on the latest adventures and the whole family have been in fits of laughter all the way through. I have also read them to my year 3 class and they begged for more. Indeed our local bookshop complained that they'd sold out and had to order as all the children rushed out to buy them. This should be compulsory reading for all!