Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 July 2009
I awaited a Rafael Nadal Biography for years. This was not what I was expecting. If you can have such a thing as a loud, headache giving book then this is it.All it contained was small snippets of well known info and huge,huge amounts of match commentary. If you are an avid tennis fan like me then all match stuff has already been witnessed first hand. Nothing in this is new to me and I can't believe that someone can actually think that it is ok to make money out of people with little in the book. There are a few good photo's. Wouldn't buy if I were you. Bitterly disappointed. Note to author - Gilles Simon in French!!
on 9 May 2009
This has been a long awaited book looking into one of the best players tennis has seen. Although Rafa is still very young he has accomplished a great deal. The interesting thing for me was not what he has won - as it is all very recent and easily accessable on the internet - but how he got there, what makes him tick. Previous biographies about Roger Federer and the autobiography by Pistol Pete Sampras were must better at giving an insight into the past sacrifices etc that these players must make to get to where they are. This book fails on many levels not least the miraculous brushing over of his childhood, his relationship with his uncle Tony and his uncle's relationship with Rafa's father. If you ever read the Rafa blog on line you'll get nearly all of this information for free. You can even ask Rafa questions yourself. Shame, looking forward to a more detailed and researched biography.
on 16 April 2009
I really enjoyed this book, and as a keen Rafa Nadal fan i am delighted that we have a book about the man. I thoroughly enjoyed the detailed accounts and records of his matches, opponents, style etc. I personally am not one for knowing the innermost details of sporting stars' private lives, and as Rafa has always been a discreet, professional man, I think it is thoroughly in keeping that this book focuses on his sporting life.
on 11 April 2009
This book was eagerly awaited on my part and unfortunately was a huge disappointment. It is wrongly titled a biography since it gives so little information about Rafa's life and equally little insight into Rafa the person. It is merely a detailed chronicle of his tennis career from the start of his arrival at the top of the elite game. In that respect it is detailed and informative, but lacking in any personal touches, which I had hoped to find. I doubt if the author had any direct access to Rafa or his immediate 'camp' when writing the book

Irene Mackie
on 30 April 2009
As a big fan of Rafa, I got truely disappointed by the book. First, as mentioned by other reviewers, this is rather a resume than a biography, given that the author did not provide any fact or information that cannot be found on the internet by any well-informed fan. Did he ever speak to Rafa or even to someone close ? Then, I am not a native English speaker but I was stunned by the poverty and low quality of the writing : a very mechanical style, the same expressions coming back at every other line... to some extent I even wondered if the text had not been automatically generated from the scores of the games by some mad engine... and I also noted a lot of typing errors or missing words. This and the lack of content really make the reading boring... Anyway, I am strongly advising the fans not to buy this book and I'm furiously waiting for a real biography of Rafa... which, given his professionalism, he will probably not make possible before the end of his outstanding carreer...
On the plus side this book is laid out nicely with good size writing (which my mum likes) and has some nice colour photo's of Rafa in it but Rafa has said that he's not seen it (when asked about it on his blog) so he said he doesn't know how credible it is.

If you're a big fan of Rafa's like I am you will know everything in this book, most of which has been in the papers, there is no extra insight into Rafa as a person or anything new about his life so I was disappointed in that respect.

Review by Juliette Westbrook-Finch, author of The Poetry of Passion (for People with a Pulse)
on 9 May 2009
A bit boring, rather a written report of his matches. Needs more of his actul life, his thoughts, his friends.
on 23 May 2010
I was looking forward to reading this as I'm a huge fan of Rafa's but as other reviewers have said it doesn't contain any new info for Rafa fans, no insight into Rafa the person, it's basically info we've all read in the newspapers.

There are 16 pages of colour photo's of Rafa in it, that's the best bit!

More interesting is "Strokes of Genius" which is an account of the Wimbledon final where Rafa beat Federer in 2008, it has an insight into what went on in the locker room in the rain delays as well as the match and is far more interesting than this book.

Strokes of Genius: Federer v Nadal, Rivals in Greatness

Rafa fans will love "The Poetry of Passion (for People with a Pulse)" which has a long chapter of 80 poems in it about Rafa (his career, his personality and his good looks) and the other poems in the book are also brilliant.

The Poetry of Passion (for People with a Pulse)
on 15 July 2009
This is not a biography .The Author should not get away with such a poor effort. There is almost nothing, about Nadal's early tennis years. Zero about his development as a young player. You get a clear impression that the Author knows very little about Nadal and what tennis or sport readers in general enjoy reading.
This is a book about the scores of Nadal's matches.
I could have written much more informative book about Nadal. I struggled to find one fact that I did not know before reading this book. Not worth a penny.
This Author should not be allowed to write again.
on 2 August 2014
This book is terrible. Tom Oldfield has obviously never even met Rafael Nadal - or if he has it isn't reflected in this book. The entire book is basically a record of Nadal's matches with a running commentary following the score line, and a tiny smattering of quotes Nadal gave to the press and posted on his website. Luckily I checked this out from the library or I would really be disappointed. Don't waste your money on this con...