Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 December 2000
This book pulls no punches. If you are a little squeemish and/or don't like swearing, be warned... The book gives a well put together account of one battle during the Falklands war together with the background of some of those who participated in the battle and their lives since the war. The narrative is well put together from the stories of the soldiers as they were being conscripted, trained, and finally sent to the Falkland Islands. All the accounts from which the book was writen are first hand, and so we can, I think, assume that they can be taken as being fairly accurate. And they are from the mouthes of both British and Argentinian non-commisioned soldiers who were there. The great thing about this book is that you get glimpses of parts of the battle as they were percieved by soldiers of the two sides. The threads link together well. There is no gloss and the 'action' is not glorified. Read this book and you will learn that modern warfare is no 'cleaner' or no more humane than any war that has gone before, despite what the top 'brass' would sometimes have us believe. In reading this book my eyes were opened to the realities of a war fought by my own people during my own lifetime.
on 12 September 2015
Brilliant read with loads of honesty and compassion between two long ago enemies. Vince has done a fantastic job and had the courage to go into the unknown to get both sides of the war. Again I didn't want the book to end.
on 22 February 2014
I regarded this as a phenomenally well written account of the actions of front-line Argentinian and British soldiers in the Falklands War, concentrating in particular on the Battle for Mount Longdon, before, during and after the battle, both at home (Argentina and the UK), and on East Falkland.

I think that Vincent Bramley's earlier book "Forward into Hell" is, possibly, the more valuable book from an insight perspective, but "Two side of Hell" is, in my opinion, the more polished product.

Both books by Vincent Bramley were, for me, an easy, valuable, insightful, gripping read.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 April 2014
A view from both sides of the battlefield
It gives both sides view of the Mount Longdon battle and also deals with the trials
and tribulations of both sets if soldiers after the battle and the struggle to fit back into
civilian life ,some still carrying the scars mental and physical attained during that fierce battle on
The Falkland Islands
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 July 2014
This book sums up all I want to know and more, all your hauntings laid bare and explained.
Don't expect a thunder flash of a start, it is slow but well worth the build up. Some of the witness accounts repeat, but I soon found myself there among the ranks of the Paras and the Argies.
on 7 December 2012
I chose this book because it stated that it was about both sides of the Falklands Conflict. I found it to be an honest attempt at telling the stories of both the British & Argentinian troops involved. I was truly moved to read about how the young Argentinian conscripts were constantly 'danced' (Beasted) by their NCO's and had little training and ancient weapons to face the well trained British troops. On the other hand the British troops were hampered by the huge distances they had to cover and poor decision making, such as the Sir Galahad debacle.

I would recommend this book to anybody interested in the Falklands Conflict, Military History or the experiences of the Argentinian troops who fought there.
on 14 May 2015
Whilst some consider this book well written (and I suppose I don't disagree on that count). This and 'Forward Into Hell' are shameless re-hashes of 'Excursion To Hell'. At the time, Excursion was a very good book - it still is - and is an interesting and disturbing account of modern battle.

However, this book gives the impression that the author was in the tick of the action. He wasn't, he was a GPMG gunner in the Sustained Fire (SF) Platoon and by the time he arrived on Longdon's summit, the battle (by that I mean the grim business of hand to hand fighting) was all but over. Contrary to popular belief, the Argentinians were not poorly equipped, they had some of the best equipment available in fact. Night Vision Equipment of the latest specification, and FN rifles that differed from the British weapons only in that they were capable of firing on automatic. Although a lot of the Argentinians were conscripted, many of their soldiers in key defensive positions were superb regular forces and took a heavy toll on the British assault.

Do yourself a favour, read 'Excursion To Hell' and forget this and 'Forward into Hell'. They're rip-offs.
on 20 April 2016
Having read excursion to Hell many years ago, I have just got round to reading this book and it brought back many memories of Vince and having met many of the soldiers in the book, Kevin, Dom, John. It truly defines the Paras and personifies what all those brave young soldiers did in times of adversity. I was always taught, you don't fight for queen and country, you fight for your mates to the left and right of you. 24 years of service and I believe those words to this day. Thank you for your words of wisdom Vince.
on 23 May 2015
To be able to give a rating of a written account of what happened you have had to have been there at the time. I was there for 4 months with the Special Forces and worked alongside these guys. What more can I say.
on 7 May 2013
I thought this book by Vince Bramley was well written and refreshingly honest about the reality of war. I could relate to the fact that the real people that matter in war are the soldiers and there families. I knew some of the soldiers who died from both parachute battalions as I had the honour to serve with them in J P C in 1980-81. The politicians are divorced from the reality and blind to the needs of those who should be fully supported for life by the country they served, their families too. Vince Bramley has spoken out and done it well. I would recommend this book to be read by every soldier. It should be compulsory reading by all politicians and Sandhurst cadets. I was one of the British soldiers that were to serve along side Argentinean soldiers in Croatia in 1992 and it annoyed me that some of the lads still saw them as the enemy because they they had a friend die in the Falklands. They should read this book too.