on 10 October 2010
What can I say that hasn't already been said?
I bought this book hoping to get some insight into the childhood & private life of a very private actor and was disappointed. Everything that is correct in theis book can be found easliy on the Internet - and there's an awful lot of incorrect information as well.
Now I'm just hoping that one day the man himself will decide to write his own autobiography - having read a 'diary' written by David Tennant for the Radio Times, I know he is a very good writer!
2 people found this helpful
on 29 August 2008
...is NOT in this book.

This is nothing more than a collection of basic facts about the actor that can be gathered from any of the fansites on the Web, padded out with personal details and patter about everyone from Kylie Minogue to Elvis Presley's manager! (No, really!) In many ways this is a book about everyone the actor had any connection to (no matter how loose) but not the actor himself. I skipped whole pages because of this.

It would hold no interest for a Dr Who fan either as the narrative only parrots the plots with no insight into the filming of these shows.

The book ends many pages before the end and includes a run-down of Dr Who episode titles to fill space.

There's even a "glossary of film terms" padding out another 20-odd pages should you wish to know the meanings of such unfathomable terms as "Blockbuster" and "Cast". There is also a listing for "padding" too, but sadly the blurb doesn't include the words "see this book."

There are a few pictures, none of which are of much interest.

In short, don't buy this book.
67 people found this helpful
on 5 January 2009
This book should be done for the trade descriptions act. This is a badly researched and written book that tells you little more about David Tennant. Any mention of another "star" like Johnny Depp or Kylie Minogue and the author goes spiralling into 2 pages of irrelevant drivel. He obviously is drawing on previous books that he has written. So a bit of advice if you are a true Tennant fan - don't buy this book you will be sadly disappointed.
5 people found this helpful
on 26 January 2010
I've got to add my voice to the chorus of disapproval - this book is such a cynical money making exercise and won't tell you anything new about David Tennant. Thank god, I didn't actually buy the book but only borrowed it from the library - I'm so glad I didn't waste my money. The author pads the book out by including lots of irrelevant trivia - pages and pages of stuff on for example Arthur Eddington's relationship with Einstein which could have been covered in a couple of paragraphs. Even if you are interested in this stuff, it has no place in a book on David Tennant. It's also very badly proof read and full of inccuracies - eg information about the programme Learners is detailed under "The Traffic Warden' when in fact they are two separate pieces of work. Also some of his early TV work isn't listed. This book is an absolute waste of time and money - just don't bother.
One person found this helpful
on 13 January 2009
The book is badly written, it isn't in chronological order, it is as though the author suddenly remembers bits that David has done but is already writing about another bit, and it waffles on far too much about other stuff which is only remotely connected to David. For eg, I don't need to read 3 pages of which episodes of Doctor Who the Daleks were in! The author just didn't have enough information on David to write a whole book, so he's filled it with rubbish. A great disappointment!
12 people found this helpful
on 29 November 2008
I so wish i had seen reviews of this book before i purchased it.I have never been so dissappointed by a book.When i saw this was available i thought great can't wait to read it.It starts as a dissappointment when you find he has never even met David {i have said more to david after seeing Hamlet than this man has}Then he goes on to say that most of his information has come from websites,and not all of that is accurate.The only thing i can say is i now know a lot more about johnny Depp and Kylie Minogue and even colonel parker.To be honest i could have written better myself,it was too gappy very amateur and with a lot of needless page filling,think most of us are familiar with a lot of terms used in filming etc.David's acting history was also incorrect.Fans do yourself a favour and keep up to date on the websites,and with the money you have saved buy one of the excellent dvd's starring david,i highly recommend Takin Over the Asylum and Casanova and Blackpool,you would enjoy any of them far more than this rubbish,If i didn't have to give it a star i wouldn't,sve your money
5 people found this helpful
on 23 September 2008
I picked up this book with a great deal of excitement, only to read that Goodall admits in the first few pages to taking most of the information in "his" book off internet fan pages. Fantastic start.

It only gets worse. Firstly, WHY do we need a summary of everything Tennant has ever done? We're his fans, we KNOW the plot of Harry Potter and 'Voyage of the Damned' and 'LA Without A Map' backwards. Oh, and we don't need to know Kylie Minogue's life story, Mr Opportunist.

Worse still, when you think you're going to get some real, raw, new information, Goodall veers away and talks about something else. For example, he begins to discuss Tennant's role in 'What the Butler Saw', but do we get any juicy tidbits on Tennant's thoughts and feelings about appearing naked onstage? Do we heck. We get a brief plot summary and nothing more.

In the last sentence, Goodall states, "[Tennant] keeps his private life very private." This should act as a deterrent to potential buyers: the subject matter isn't opening up, so don't expect the author to extract groundbreaking facts about him.

The photographs, instead of being photographs of Tennant in school plays and early auditions, which one might expect and which might justify spending money on this dross, are frequently-seen pictures readily available on the internet. Print on glossy paper, and you have what you're given in the book.

I feel ashamed to have bought this. This talentless writer makes money off a much-admired man who had no control over this book - though, admittedly, the incompetence, laziness and lack of committed research on Goodall's part certainly ensures nothing we didn't already know comes to light. Save yourself the money and just search 'David Tennant' on the internet.
15 people found this helpful
on 31 August 2008
This is the worst kind of celebrity "biography" in that it contains nothing that most people don't already know, has no input whatsoever from the subject himself and relies on information and quotes cobbled together from a variety of other sources to lend it any sort of credibility. Sadly, after a few pages it's obvious to anyone that it lacks even this. No wonder Mr Tennant wanted nothing to do with it! If I were him I'd be spitting mad that anyone had the temerity to publish this using my name as a lure for gullible fans. I learned more about Johnny Depp and Kylie from this book than I did about David Tennant thanks to all the desperate "padding". Please, please, please don't waste your money!
23 people found this helpful
on 15 January 2009
I am very disappointed by this book, it has a lot of information about Doctor Who, historical and current, full history of the Daleks but very little about David Tennant. I feel his name has been mis-used to sell the book and I sincerely hope he didn't agree to it. Not recommended if you want the biography of David Tennant - it will tell you nothing.
6 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 28 October 2008
wish I'd read some of the reviews before buying the book. It was a easy read because it had no depth to it .I knew virtually everything from wikipedia.still the picture on the front is quite nice! There you go buy a photo instead if you're a fan!
3 people found this helpful