Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 September 2011
Into the Dark

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I served as a frontline detective in the Royal Ulster Constabulary CID for 30 years.One of my core duties was source handling.It is certainly not for the faint hearted. This area of Policing is fraught with many difficulties moral,legal and ethical. One has to walk a very finely balanced but nonetheless clearly defined line between source protection and strict compliance with Home Office Guidlines and the Criminal law.

I quickly discovered that many of our RUC superiors had little or no experience of the dynamics involved in running informants. Many others who exhibited a little knowledge had no interest because of their absolute fear of the potential trouble it would bring from our professionally jealous elements within our RUC Special Branch who saw the running of paramilitary sources as solely their domain.

Personally speaking I begged to differ. I found it to be a professionally rewarding duty. My CID colleagues and I often obtained vital information that flowed from our own well placed sources that was often instrumental in saving the lives of our threatened fellow citizens.In many cases our information came in from former SB agents who like Kevin had become somewhat disenchanted with their SB handlers. This was commonplace throughout my service in the RUC.

I have never met Kevin Fulton but having read his book I can readily identify with the treachery and the betrayal he alleges he has suffered at the hands of MI5 or the RUC Special Branch. He gave of his best. That fact rings true from every page. He stepped up to the plate and acted out his role as he saw it.

It is testament to his character that he was able to move seamlessly from his honourable post as a regular Britih soldier where he had worked in an atmosphere of strict discipline and of rules and regulations into the nightmare world of "pretending" to be a Provo Terrorist, a very dark place where the only rule is "there are no rules" and sudden death can befall you in a heartbeat.

Fulton very quickly finds himself caught up in IRA activity that he had no control over and was not of his making. He is suddenly going on the offensive against the very people he was put in place to protect. He relates how he gets little or no real guidance from his British military handlers.

Read of his terrifying experiences as he so bravely attempts to do his masters bidding while at the same time courageously walking that very thin tightrope of maintaining his credibility and the day to day trust of his newfound and extremly suspicious provo compatriots.

Read how the Nutting Squad eventually arrested him and held him. Terrifying and gripping! I highly recommend this book as a must for anyone interested in the murky world of agents, sources and State sponsored double dealing.

A "Walter Mitty" no! An Unsung Hero? Absolutely!
on 31 July 2012
Brilliant book! I've read countless books about the troubles in Northern Ireland, informers and double agents and this is up there with the best of them! If you've bothered to get this far then you obviously already have an interest in this book, just click buy and enjoy
on 5 March 2011
I find the whole genre of books relating to 'the troubles' in Northern Ireland fascinating and particularly enjoy those relating, like this one, to the 'dirty war' being waged by the security services and IRA alike. The foreword in the book is written by Martin Ingram, who is undoubtedly one of the the most respected writers on the subject, which certainly lends great credence to the authors version of accounts. A very good all round read, even if your not particularly interested in the subject matter. Definitely some similarities with Martin McGartland 'Fifty Dead Men Walking'......the most disturbing of which is the collusion of the various agencies of the British secret service to allow atrocities to take place and then condemn their previously prized agents and informers to almost certain death when they outlast their usefulness.
on 13 October 2010
an outstanding book,gives an alternative view to the northern ireland troubles.People putting their lives and their families lives, on the line to help the security forces and then being thrown to the wolves,when they were no longer of use.would love to hear the security forces side of the coin,but i think thats unlikely.Read many military biographies covering service in northern ireland,fascinating to get an alternative viewpoint.Makes you realise just how much went on that we'll never know about,but then so much is left out of british news nowadays that you'll get more info on what's going on in the world from foreign news channels.
on 27 August 2008
This has to be one of the most detailed books about the dirty war,a soldier is recruited to go undercover inside a terrorist organisation, the story unfolds very quickly and makes for some terrible revelations. In my view this has to be the best book I have read about the dirty war in Northern Ireland.
on 9 September 2008
I have a few pages to go and the book is finished,and I will find it hard to put down. This book got it's five stars,half way through.
I have to be honest,and say,I expected it to be just like some of the others,that were based around,undercover work,but it's not. Mr Fulton,took a pride in saving peoples lives,but he also showed great compassion for those he didn't save. Political powers threw him into,a,situation,that he made the best of. How often have politicians,wasted lives,through wars,without not even being there.they did it centuries ago,and are still doing it now. I was in N I in the 70s,but not the same way as Mr Fulton was,and the things he describes,ring true,in every way. It's a shame that situations described in his book have to happen,but they did,and I say good on you Kevin,for doing a job,where a lot of people,would not know where to start,-including me-.You can't go out into the rain without getting wet,and I hope Mr Fulton has found somewhere to dry himself off,and get on with his life. -Good on you mate-
on 27 May 2008
The whispers you have heard for years are finally coming out, according to 'Kevin Fulton'. This guy went deep undercover & for what, Saving lives? No, massaging ego's if what you read is true. The book takes you along at a very good speed & is in essence, a very good book, a bit short, if I was to be cynical. There are not a lot of real surprises in this book, just confirmation that trust was weak on the ground & in some cases, confirmation that there were more than one enemy in this god for saken war.
on 7 December 2012
This book details the life of a British double agent and how he infiltrates through to the high ranks of the IRA. It was an excellent book detailing the many dilemnas that he faced by trying to protect the citizens whilst carrying out his activities for the IRA. He never got recognised for his work from the British Army and now is on the run.
on 25 December 2013
Found the book an excellent read, could hardly put it down.. Can relate to events that happened during those troubled years... Would highly recommended this book...
on 8 July 2010
This is a 'cracker' of a book. Some of the bits in it are almost unbelievable and at times I had no sympathy for Kevin but at other times, I felt so sorry for the poor man and just wanted him to 'get away and hide'. An eye opener. Loved it.