on 6 July 2017
Although a Saints fan, I went to quite a few Pompey away games, especially in London during the casual years. Pompey's following was immense.
This book seems to be an honest, rough-and-ready account of this era. More chaos than planning.
You get the camaraderie among working class lads from what is an island. The loyalty to Pompey is intense - and still is today.
In the book there's a running theme of despising Saints fans - and wanting to tell the world. This is the classic 'chip on the shoulder' spirit of Pompey that's alive and present today.
In truth, the two sets of fans rarely met. The few times they did, it went badly for Pompey - like a particular incident where some of the 6.57 waltzed into the Saints casuals pub and things went downhill for them. In fairness, the book covers this.
Had the two sides squared up in numbers, I'm sure the 6.57 would have overrun Saints. But the constant dismissing of Saints isn't warranted. Other books (eg. Scally by Everton's Andy Nicholls) tell a different story about Saints casuals.
A lot of people admire Pompey fans/6.57. What I'd say is this ... you don't have to live next door to them!
Footnote: I'm pretty sure I bumped into author Rob Silvester in Cambrils, Spain, around 10 years ago. He was wearing a Pompey shirt. I went over and we chatted about football, etc. Then I revealed I was a Saints fan and he ended the conversation immediately with "Oh no, you're not are you?" and walked away. It runs deep. (Sorry Rob if that wasn't you.)
on 19 March 2017
Great book, very detailed and it gives a real insight of the notorious crew
on 18 July 2017
Great read
on 14 July 2017
I liked it as social history and as a former skin-head turning into a hippy, in the 60's, early 70's
I don't care about uppity criticisms about grammar and spelling. It is what it is. It's outside school rules and teachers tut-tutting.
It's about gang membership and gang solidarity and camaraderie.
It's about a repeating story in most towns and cities, about ordinary people finding a cause and purpose to their life.
on 8 October 2003
Really not as good as I hoped. it's hard to tell what cass pennent's role is in the book. I get the impresion only members of the 6.57 will undertsand what the hell is going on half the time.
on 15 February 2017
The book gives some insight into the culture of British hooligans by exploring the legendary 6.57 of Portsmouth. It also provides a snapshot of social history in England during the 80's. This book gives you a real life story told by one of the Pompey faithful. The 6.57 crew were a legend among the football terraces and will be remembered by football supporters nationwide as Premier League, whatever division their team happened to be in at the time. To sum up, I loved' Rolling With The 6.57 Crew' and couldn't put it down till I'd finished it. Another cracking book dedicated to the 6.57 crew is 'Playing Up with Pompey' by Bob Beech.
on 2 January 2005
I usually love these type of books, but to be honest I was a little disappointed with Rolling with the 6.57 Crew. Whilst there were some great stories, and you got a real feel for the Pompey boys and their domination of the terraces, there are only so many stories of this type you can read. When you are on the 59th account of a trip to Leeds, Manchester or wherever it does get a little tedious. All the same it was highly readable, but there are many much more entertaining and enjoyable books on this subject.
on 7 July 2003
Unlike another reviewer who has based his comments on the synopsis (a career as a professional criticism surely awaits this individual), I have actually taken the trouble to read this book.
In terms of spelling, grammar, construction and factual accuracy this book is no winner. It's clear Cass Pennant is not a Pompey fan - getting the FA Cup final years wrong and referring to the North Terrace as the "North Bank" are two of the give aways.
If you take the accounts of events with a pinch of salt you have what is basically just another run of the mill hoolie book (we done this and that mob, we never ran from no-one etc) - but with a bit more interest for the average Portsmouth fan.
Some of the accounts of events in this history of PFC fans on the rampage are funny and absorbing and the chapter on the effect of the rave scene on the "firm" is quite illuminating.
I didn't expect much from "Rolling" and to be fair I wasn't disappointed - but its not without its charm and it whiled away a wet summer weekend waiting for the start of the season.
on 24 March 2015
Just what I wanted to read and at a good price.
on 15 March 2016
gifted and well received by the fan