on 26 April 2014
Here's why: 1. Irritating use of abbreviations e.g. Col = colour, diag = diagonal. This is either laziness on the part of the authors or the printers but does not make for easy use. 2. Limited instructions on how to build the blocks. 3. And this is the major drawback, your iron is one of your best tools when you quilt and how you press the seams can make the difference between a good quilt and a bad quilt. The authors only have a few inches on pressing and say it's up to the quilter to decide so no recommendations for the individual blocks based on their presumably vast experience. If I'd seen this book in a shop rather than on Amazon, it would have gone back on the shelf.
on 12 March 2016
This book is very small, the writing and a lot of the pictures tiny. Even on the larger pictures it was impossible to see what shapes actually made up the block. Abbreviations were also hard to understand without constantly going back to the front of the book. I returned this book for refund.
on 17 March 2014
I already have 2 quilt block pattern books which I really like.I sent for this for a friend as a gift and it was too late to send it back and order another as I needed it the next day. I found the illustrations too small and the book not as inspirational as it could have been.My friend is only just starting to do patchwork so she was pleased to receive it but I know I could have don better.Will make it up to her by getting her a better one for her birthday.
VINE VOICEon 28 April 2014
At first I thought the instructions too brief but then I saw that more detailed instructions were given elsewhere in the book. It is great for ideas, and an experienced quilter could simple use the block idea without the detailed instructions in any case. There are even some projects to make using some of the blocks. Had I bought this ages ago I would not have bought some of the other books I have. This one covers such a lot. It even tells about binding and how to mitre the binding corners.
A beginner might find some of the instructions insufficient without some guidance from someone in a class or group.
on 29 May 2014
Perhaps I did not read the details before I ordered this but the book is tiny and so are the illustrations. I would not recommend this to a beginner quilter. The basic blocks are shown and then variations on the block which are useful. It does not go into great detail on completing these blocks. The templates needed to make the blocks are shown but have to be enlarged 200 per cent. I will find it very useful but would not recommend it for a beginner.
on 1 November 2013
I wanted a book that was going to tell me how to construct all those quilt blocks I see on the Internet but have no idea how to put together - and it does just that! It has a simple layout - this is the block - this is how you make it. No frills, just a straight forward 'how to' guide. It is a small book which actually suits me as I will carry it in my handbag and look through it whenever I'm waiting somewhere or bored in the car. However, this is not for a beginner. You need a basic knowledge of quilting to use this book effectively.
on 24 November 2013
A nice neat book easy to handle. Each block has instructions for constructing it. However I think this is probably better for a quilter with some experience. Some of the details require a knowledge of quilting to 'see' how the block would look in a finished quilt. There is a good introduction with details about the fabrics and stitching etc. if you are new to quilting please read the intro as it will give you a lot of help. I would recommend this book.
on 11 September 2017
There are some lovely block patterns in this book. Sometimes the directions were not as clear as I would have liked but I was very pleased with the blocks I made.
on 14 November 2015
Yes its small, less than 6 inches square but its packed full of goodies! You can find a block you like and then either enlarge the page or maybe google the block for further information. If the book was larger it would be incredibly expensive and heavy too. I love it!
on 8 April 2015
only about 6" square this book is easily transportable in your bag to feed your patchwork craving while out and about!
A fantastic little book with a few project ideas as well , a tad confusing to start with about basic blocks and then where to find all the variations but when you get your head round that ( duhh , I was a bit thick) it is very easy to follow.