Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 April 2006
As a new-comer to watercolours, buying books is a little hit and miss. This book is beautifully presented and the author appears confident that anyone reading this book will be able to paint flowers. I found that the pictures were inspiring and I certainly attempted a number of the flowers featured. My only criticisms are that Tait expects you to have the confidence to paint without first drawing an outline - hard if you are not a natural artist - and that she does not give enough instruction on how to create these flowers. Practise will help, though!
on 26 April 2013
I have several books by Wendy Tait and they are all very good. However, this one was disappointing. Firstly, it is very small at 6" x 8.5" but I admit that is my fault for not reading the description properly. Secondly, although the paintings are lovely I found the instructions very limited and the print was so pale that at times you could hardly see what she had done. The only good thing about the book is that it did encourage me to paint straight onto the paper without drawing first.
All in all, some pretty pictures for inspiration but very little help. Definitely not for beginners. I note that some reviewers have mentioned free tracings and good instructions. On further investigation I find there are two books with the same title. The original was in large format with pull out tracings. The book I bought however is much smaller and has no tracings. So beware ! Best to buy the original larger format. I wish I had!
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 13 June 2011
This book is not for the beginner. It provides brief instructions and little in the way of technique. This book assumes that you know the basics, but are stuck for ideas on what to paint- hence the series title. It gives examples of 24 paintings plus the outlines of these paintings for you to start painting. It's a little bit like painting by numbers without the numbers. The outlines are there so that you do not have to draw - you can copy these for your own use and play around with them and devise more outlines for different paintings. Each demonstration outlines the key points in the painting, these are not the step by step instructions you will be used to if you have used the Ready to Paint series by the same publisher. This is the next step forward in developing your own paintings. The painting palette is given and there are brief tips on mixing colour and painting backgrounds. You would need more than a little skill to get your paintings to look as good as Wendy's, but I repeat the object of these books, as I understand them, is to offer ideas to paint and ready-made outlines. As such it is an excellent offering of 24 superb paintings of flowers including all the favourites and more. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.
on 22 July 2010
A beautifully illustrated book and there is no doubt as to the authors skill in this field....but a little more in the way of guidance for newcomers to the "flower painting" scene would have been more welcome in my case .
There are lots of books on the many and varied techniques used in watercolour , and I had to refer to these in order to "fill the gaps " that were not covered in this otherwise excellent book !
Apart from that...no doubt as my skills improve...some of the information within the pages will become more apparent .
I agree with the previous reviewer on many of the points he raised....and a little more "basic technique" advice would have made it a better buy for my needs .
From the information provided in the general overview of this publication..I had assumed a more detailed description of the steps involved in an exercise would have been given .There is such a wide variation in the way that skill levels vary ...and this makes it awkward at times to find the level of information we expect to find in our book purchases.
This book will no doubt be referred to more often as my skills develop and will therefore remain on my shelf until such time as I can utilize its content and use some of the tips included in Wendy Tait's book.
on 25 June 2011
Nice book, 48 pages. Good page on colour mixing. 5 step by step lessons are not very good for amateurs to tell you the truth as there's not enough explanation. And with straight paint to paper with no line drawing is expected of you with this book.
This book is definitely NOT for beginners. Would suit experienced and confident watercolour artist.
However, it is a beautiful book with really lovely paintings. Good for referrals on what colours to use for flowers. Nice add to my collection of books but need to wait until I am more experience to use this.
on 18 January 2013
I bought the book after a friend showed me a watercolour of the front cover she did which was fabulous, She is not a natural artist so the outlines were good for her. I bought the item for my mum who is a natural artist but has never used watercolour or paint before so the tips on colour etc meant that the book would be helpful for her as well. I think it would suit most enthusiastic drawers or painters, particularly with the outline pictures to trace or copy.
on 14 June 2012
This product is excellent but, as others have suggested, it is not for absolute beginners. However some reviewers suggest that there is little help with the drawing - yet there are 24 free tracings included! She also gives a full list of the colours she used and a brief outline of techniques such as negative painting and wet in wet. I've only been painting for six months and this book is fine for me. I suggest that beginners obtain 'Trace & Paint Flowers' ISBN 978-1-84448-727-1 available on Amazon. There are 4 contributors to this book and there are 18 free tracings, however the instructions are covered far more deeply and helped me gain the confidence to draw and paint well (at least I'm happy with my results). So back to my opening remark - excellent and well worth the 5 starsTrace & Paint Flowers
on 13 July 2014
This book is a con. It has only 48 pages and is very small. Despite being billed as a new book to market, it was, in fact, first published in 1998. It is very small and slim with a total of about 20 paragraphs of text in the whole book. Several very nice pictures by the artiist with a sentence commentary on each but nothing very instructive and the style is a little passe now anyway. No good as a "learn to" book. Don't waste your money. This is Search Press "milking its assets" by republishing materials it has already published previously - so watch out - you may even have this material already but with a different cover.
on 19 March 2013
A truly beautifully illustrated book. I loved the pastel shades and intend using it to create my own masterpiece! It's quite a small book A5 size, but this does not detract from what it's intended for. It is a useful instructional book giving many tips for laying down washes and the use of different colour schemes. If you love painting flowers, this book is for you
on 12 September 2013
Just learning how to do water colour painting and there were plenty of hints and instruction in the book. Much smaller than I expected but full of very useful information. I've already copied a technique with reasonable result.