on 11 August 2017
Great book by a great author!
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 19 December 2012
If you really struggle with watercolour but are still persevering against all odds, try this book. There are 24 step-by-step demonstrations showing not only trees but landscapes as well. You'll be able to choose scenes from all seasons. There is a complete guide to painting trees in all seasons, then incorporating them into the landscape. Terry guides you through the process showing his palette, brushes and techniques. This book used material previously published as Terry Harrison's Watercolour Trees.
on 8 January 2013
I won't comment about Terry's paintings - it is such a personal opinion.

What really annoyed me so much that it put me off this book is the description of recommended brushes. Who on earth has heard of brushes called "Golden Leaf"; "Wizard"' "Fan Gogh" or "Fan Gogh px"? Ok, I have heard of them, but only because they are sold under Terry's name. Perhaps I shouldn't feel annoyed by this, but I do! I just don't expect this sort of thing in what I hoped was a serious art book.

On a more positive note, the illustrations, whether you like the finished paintings or not, are clear and the quality of reproduction is good. The notes are also very clear.

I guess the title is clear enough - this is a book designed more for the beginner.
on 6 June 2013
being a novice to water colour painting this book really shows you the tricks to creating great pictures from the different brushes and techniques to the basics of mixing and blending colour using easy to follow methods.
on 21 July 2017
Any of Terry's books, are so well written, and an excellent guide. He will be really sadly missed.
on 12 February 2016
Terry is a brilliant artist and an excellent teacher. I already have some of his paintings, I cannot rate him highly enough.
on 24 March 2016
Excellent book with clear photos and step by step instructions. Arrived quickly and condition as described.
on 14 August 2014
It is what most of the other reviews say: a great book full of really good suggestions, but you will need his brushes to put it into practice. I took up watercolour half a year ago, and again on my last day out, I found my results on painting trees more than unsatisfactory and came home very disappointed and disillusioned. This book has given me the confidence back that I could actually achieve results. But yes, I just went to Amazon and bought a set of his brushes, because I still have no idea on how to produce satisfactory results with my existing brushes. By the way: I also bought from him the 30 minutes artist on Painting water in the same order, and I was so disappointed because I thought a lot of those pictures were very amateurish. So to me a complete contrast between those two books.
on 23 March 2013
This book is great to get you started and for reference to the shape of the trees done simply. Would recommend
on 24 March 2015
Well written with good examples of painting techniques. I cannot say that I am that enthusiastic about artists of Mr. Harrisons' caliber adding yet another range of water colours to the plethora of personally named and manufactured colours often found in such literature. My view is that part of the pleasure of using water colours is learning the skill of mixing your basic colours to produce the the effects that you want to create. Pre-created speciality colours rarely compensate for the lack of practice and effort in improving your own skills in colour mixing. Other than that I much enjoyed reading the publication and would recommend it to any water-colour artist.