I must admit being fairly disappointed with this book. Although the book is beautifully produced and has a few reasonable animals, most of the "soft toy" type are bears. Also, several of these type of patterns I consider to be rather crudely designed; this seems to be a new trend and may suit some people, though. The patterns are not full-sized and have to be either enlarged on a photocopier, scanned and enlarged with your own computer software, or transferred onto graph paper - more of a nuisance than a problem.

Another problem (or "fault") that I encountered was the pattern for the cloth dog, in that the head gusset pattern did not fit the side head pattern. I therefore had to re-draw it myself.

The instructions are not illustrated and are very sketchy; this style of teaching can be difficult to follow, as you cannot see what is in the mind of the person explaining the construction of the subject. I have seen books with much better instructions available on the market.

I consider myself an experienced sewer, and would definitely not recommend the book to a beginner. I doubt whether I will bother with any of the other patterns in the book. All in all, a bit disappointing.
11 Comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 December 2012
A very dissappointing book - does not live up to its description. Too many rather boring bears - I was hoping for lots of modern ideas for animals to make from modern fabrics. You will not find them here. Instructions are surprizingly poor for a Search Press published book. The instructions for scaling up the patterns - require a trip to a copy shop - not always easy for everyone and two lots of enlargements, 1 x 200% and then another by 160%. There are no contacts for an author or for suppliers. Instructions for jointing hopelessly brief. If you are an experienced maker you might use it for ideas - but those are fairly thin on the ground. Its going straight into my 'sell back' pile.
on 14 February 2014
I bought this book as I wanted to make gifts for my daughters'. Something I hadn't really noticed was the lack of diagrams for assembling the pattern pieces. When I cam to assemble the pieces I found it quite difficult using only the narration from the instructions. I am an accomplished sewer/seamstress and found that I had to alter the shape of some of the pattern pieces in order for them to actually fit once sewn.
Having step by step diagrams is incredibly useful for items such as these, but slightly vague instructions are not helpful at all. I should have paid more attention to whether there were diagrams, so that is my fault BUT the book would hugely benefit from them. There are some beautiful gifts to make but I am disappointed. I have ordered a different book which does have step by step diagrams. Personally, I would say that this book is not worth it.
on 25 November 2016
There are some lovely patterns in here to try. I must say tho, you have to be a mathmatician to work out how to enlarge them. Unless of course it's just me. I ended up guessing it. Lol. All in all, some quite varied and different ideas.
on 7 January 2016
I was so excited to sew my first teddy, omg this was so much harder than I thought.
Some of the pattern shapes need scaled up with the exception of one or two (in the same pattern), but it doesn't seem to tell you that clearly. So you're left wondering what to do with a foot that's enormous and does not fit a leg!!
The instructions are very very basic, and for such complicated designs you really need more than attach all the limbs etc to the body. No explanation of how to do this.
Disappointed I have to say.
on 28 November 2015
I purchased this book, as I wanted to make my grandchildren a variety of animals, so thought this book looked excellent. The book is entitled 50 fabric animals, I expected teddy bear type animal only a handful, the rest are cushions, appliqué, stole etc... If you want a book like me, don't bother, if you want a book which provides cushion cover patterns, appliqué then it's for you.
on 8 November 2016
This is a lovely book with some great patterns. All fairly easy to do
on 1 April 2017
Interesting ideas using different fabrics from a dog made from a floor clot, lovely toys, and wonderful applique designs....never appliqued before looking forward to trying.
on 3 April 2017
A lovely little book with detailed instructions and diagrams. There are a lot of patterns to make some excellent toys.
on 2 November 2016