on 1 November 2012
I really thought this book would have some great ideas and tips but was really dissappointed. I feel this book is for COMPLETE beginners. It is set out in Q & A style. Question 19: How do I thread a needle? !!! Question 46: How do I sew on a two-holed button? Even in the section for taking your sewing skills further, Question 187: What can I do with those itchy labels in my shop bought clothes? I have starred this book ok because if you have never done any kind of sewing what so ever in your whole life, and have never seen anyone else sewing, ever, you may find a few useful tips in this book. I consider myself to have only basic sewing knowledge but this book was a waste of money for me. Far too basic.
on 24 February 2012
I got this book on a thursday and by the friday i had adjusted a skirt that was too big and 'customised' an old top to something better. I am a complete sewing novice but want to learn the basics at least. This book has set me on the right path. If you want to learn how to alter or repair then this book is for you.
on 8 December 2012
I have recently started teacing basic sewing classes and I bought this book to brush up on my own knowledge before trying to impart it to others. Some bits of the book are ok but others really disappointed me. One alteration I am frequently asked how to do is to replace a zip yet this book states it is better left to the professionals. Respectfully I have to disagree, with a little patience and care replacing a zip can be done at home.
If you really have absolutely zero idea of how to sew in a button or snap fastener then this book might be for you but if you have a basic knowledge of sewing then this book will probably be a bit too basic for you.
on 21 March 2013
Perfect as a companion for household sewing, or anyone with a "make do and mend" attitude. A useful compendium that I return to for the concise instructions and useful definitions, despite broader sewing experience. Anyone who has ever struggled putting in a zipper (as I do, still!) will appreciate the chapter on zippers. Little extra "tips" scattered through the book turned out to be more useful than I thought - like putting chalk on the ball side of a popstud to mark the exact placement for its counterpart. I did find the suggestions for revamping clothes a little twee, but a good starting point. Excellent reference, and almost guaranteed to save you a little cash in the long term, particularly if you only sew to repair.
on 22 November 2012
An excellent little book - easy to find the answer you want. I started by reading right from the beginning to give me all the basics, then when I was ready to have a go at my first project, the relevant page took me step by step through and the result was great! Very pleased indeed.
on 10 February 2012
I am so glad I bought this book. Although I have been sewing for some time now there are always things that come up to which I may not be sure about the best way to tackle the problem. This book has proved invaluable on many occassions. It is written in an easy, matter of fact style which gets straight to the point and the picture guides are clear and easy to follow.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 13 October 2011
Another popular question and answer book this time dealing with alterations and repairs in the sewing room. Whatever your question, the answer is most likely to be here. Find basic tools and techniques, all about different fastenings, mending by hand or machine, ironing, altering clothes and more. A handy reference to keep in the sewing room. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.
on 20 February 2014
I have a few of the 200 questions answered books and love them all, I started by reading them through from start to finish and now refer to the relevant sections as and when required, for someone with not much experience they have been really useful.
on 15 September 2013
It was too basic for me but a good addition to novice sewers library, it explains techniques in simple easy to understand terms
on 30 June 2012
Firstly I didn't like the Q&A format, with one question on each page. It made the whole book very bitty and it didn't flow. I suppose that layout was used because it creates a reference book to dip into, but it didn't work for me. It's a small book and the photos are tiny, so it's difficult to see any detail. Shame, because there is lots of white space so it would have been easy to make them bigger. There is mostly only one photo on each page and this isn't nearly enough to illustrate most of the techniques. The text implies that this book is for beginners but beginners would need more illustrations - I've been sewing for many years but I couldn't make head nor tail of some of her explanations. There are some useful tips (if a zip is sticking, rub a graphite pencil along it to make it slip easily) but overall I wouldn't recommend this book.