on 28 April 2012
I bought my first sewing machine a couple of years ago and although I have done a lot of hand stitching of 'simple' projects I have never been quite brave enough to follow a commercial pattern because I did not fully understand the terminology used. This book is great, it answers questions about how to alter patterns, explains the terminology used and how to lay a pattern onto your fabric, also what fabrics to use and how much to buy plus many more questions. I think this is a wonderful book for beginners just learning how to use a pattern for making clothes etc.
Every page has either colour and/or black and white photographs and colour drawings.
If you want to learn about sewing/dressmaking buy it!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 7 October 2011
A handy references for any sewing questions you may have. Beginners and experienced sewers alike will find this useful. All manner of questions are answered from types of equipment, measurements, fit and all about sewing patterns. Learn how to create and adapt patterns. It is well illustrated and easy to use. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.
on 10 October 2011
I must agree with the other reader. It helps a lot for a novice like me,whom totally depend on books, DVDs and websites to embark on a sewing journey! LOL! A must have for new comer! Apart from 200 questions answered, it also gives you tips and extra knowledge on sewing itself. Am happy with my purchase. Again, bought this together with the other book from Waterstone. Sorry Amazon... :-
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 September 2011
This book is the latest addition to Search Press's 200 questions answered series and covers many questions which beginner dressmakers would ask. The questions are split down into 11 chapters covering topics such as sewing equipment, preparing & cutting fabric, machine stitching, seams, darts and hems and many other techniques.

It guides you through garment making from choosing the right fabric and pattern, understanding and using the pattern to cutting the fabric, piecing the garment together and adding finishing touches. Most of the questions have a full page of text answering the question as well as a photo to demonstrate. There are also useful sewing tips scattered throughout the book.

This is a handy little reference guide for anyone planning to sew garments, a mine of information for beginners and should provide some useful time saving tips and new techniques for more experienced dressmakers.
on 20 February 2014
I have a few of the 200 questions answered books and love them all, I started by reading them through from start to finish and now refer to the relevant sections as and when required, for someone with not much experience they have been really useful.
on 7 January 2014
I don't know about you, but after sewing for some 40 years (I started young!) I am a very experienced sewer, but my memory lets me down occasionally. You know, post menopausal and the faculties are proving slow to return....that is if they ever do come back. Well whilst I am waiting, this little baby sits by my machine, and is invaluable for all sorts of stuff. It can't do anything about the weather or make me a cuppa, but it's my companion nonetheless :-)
on 13 June 2013
this book is excellent for beginners, it is written in simple English which makes it easy to follow with loads of illustrations.
on 9 March 2013
This is the other book that my Partner ordered. Once again she is very pleased with it. there's so much in it for a small book. It answers all the necessay questions that you need to know when altering patterns for yourself. In fact it's amazing. Also the delivery
service was very prompt. 5 stars
From Mr H
on 3 March 2014
Really good for the 200 questions - but as a beginner I don't always know what question I need to look at. Really clear and concise and very easy to find what you're looking for.
on 23 January 2014
Excellent book for a beginner, clear and really useful when you get stuck! The book is good at explaining everything you need to know as a novice dressmaker!