on 24 August 2012
This is a fabulous book and one that I will constantly be dipping into. I love the way Vic has set each chapter out with simple line drawings that take away that scary feeling of where do I start when sketching a live wild animal. I know he covers other mediums such as acrylic and watercolour as well as pastels but there is something to be learnt from each of these when painting wildlife. Thank you Vic for a truly excellent book.
on 2 September 2012
I was very much looking forward to this book as I love Vic Bearcroft's work, and I was not disappointed. The instructions and demonstrations were easy to follow and very helpful. Vic's love of the animals he portrays always is evident and he inspires me to try for the same sort of empathy. My only criticism is that the book is not long enough. I hope that he intends to produce a sequel. A truly delightful book.
on 18 August 2012
I first came across Vic Bearcroft's work when I went for a day to Crufts last year and was stunned by his work. I bought a couple of his prints, which hang proudly in my living room. His lion painting, entitled 'Manzi', is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I have many a time tried to copy this painting but never have I got anywhere close. Now, with Vic Bearcroft's fantastic new book on how to start from the beginning and end up with a painting to be proud of; I will, one day (with hope) manage my own Manzi. I'm going to book myself into one of his workshops, too; this book has left me with the painting bug! ML
on 27 September 2012
Drawing and painting wild animals by Vic bearcroft is a brilliant book!
I am steadly working through the different exercises he gives and it is really improving my drawing skills. It is a art workshop on every page!
Well done Vic.
on 11 November 2012
Absolutely love this book and the artist. His art is so life like. I would reccomend any of his books or DVD's.
on 23 February 2014
Vic is an excellent artist who leads you in easy steps to improve your paintings of animals. I particularly like that he uses different mediums for different subjects which is how I like to work and I hate it when you have to purchase different books for each medium.
He simply doesn't go overboard and you can develop your own style while learning how to get the best results.
I am very happy with this book although personally I don't trace the drawings however these are good for those not overly
confident with their drawing skills.
on 24 September 2012
I love Vic Bearcroft's work and his videos are good to watch and informative and was looking forward to his first book but was a little disappointed as it is like a lot of books that are doing step by step but seem to miss out a lot of steps,this is not too bad if like me you have watched his video's so know how he works but I think maybe frustating for someone using it to learn from scratch
on 30 March 2013
Vic really gets to the nitty gritty in this book, he explains like no other artist on colours, depth of fur, glazing and all aspects of painting realistic fur in Pastel and Acrylic. Not only does he explain each step but also how much pressure to use with each stroke, so important for people just starting out. With this book you really can achieve professional results.
on 7 December 2013
My friend had it at art class and I just had to have one .I am absolutely thrilled with it and now started to do the tiger with black back ground.
on 4 November 2012
This book shows some lovely animal portraits - and it just gets better because Vic Bearcroft gives straight forward explanations and descriptions on "how to". I had only seen his work in pastel before but the book also shows how to work in watercolours and pencils etc. The style encourages you to have a go - certainly a worthwhile purchase.