Customer reviews

on 9 June 2017
Really great value for the money.
on 18 August 2017
Lovely book. Great for inspiration and reference
on 29 November 2013
This is a beautiful book and the sections at the beginning provide a great introduction to the essential skills for knitting Fair Isle designs. I found the information on 'steeking' really very useful indeed as I'd always imagined it must be possible to cut into a knitted garment to adjust and/or move seams but I'd never before seen a description of techniques to accomplish this

My only reservation is possibly not about the book but about the information that accompanies it on these Amazon pages. This is a book which is really a compendium of fair isle designs - it does not include knitting patterns or directions for making a garment and it is possible to misunderstand that the phrase 'knitting pattern' ONLY refers to the banded designs for which Fair Isle is so famous. There are four pages on beginning the process of designing your own garment but the author is quite clear that these are just a few ideas, and that this book does not cover garment design in any depth.

However, if that is understood, then this is a great book for anyone embarking on the first or their umpteenth project - the explanations are clear with great accompanying illustrations and the Fair Isle designs are beautiful. I love this book and highly recommend it.
on 14 January 2014
I volunteered to knit a cushion cover in Fairisle for an exhibition. I had never knitted Fairisle before, despite having knitted for 50 years.
I am now knitting my 3rd cushion cover, they are 55 cm square, so not small cushions.
I used the designs in this book for the cushions, staring with the two row simple patterns and gradually worked up to bigger and more complex patterns. Stripping them.I also used colours that whilst they complemented each other where very clear [ie cream on dark green] I now use more subtle colours [different shades of red in the same design which is very pleasing]The whole family are impressed.
My daughter loved the first one so much that she asked me to knit her one for her birthday [she's getting two]. The one that went on display was much admired and it encouraged others to try knitting in Fairisle. My only down point was totally personal I didn't like some of the colour combinations used, so I just did my own thing.
on 8 March 2017
Lots of ideas for knitting your own projects
on 11 November 2015
I love this book. It has very clear charts for all 200 designs- each in black and white with a couple of colour options as well as a photo of a sample. I bought it as I wanted to knit a "random" Fair Isle throw and this is ideal - and I am also using my own colour choices (which are considerably brighter than those illustrated). There are clear instructions on technique and also how to use the patterns in garments, but no actual patterns for garments.
on 25 December 2011
The lost star is simply that I rarely meet perfection and this dictionary is not the only Fairisle book you need, but what it does, it does very well.

The designs are arranged so you can select them easily on sight alone. The pictures are not intended, I believe, to be slavishly copied tint for tint. They are to give you a sense of how the shapes in the design will look. Two different colour selections enable you to see some of the figure/ground options. By this I mean that you can create different shapes on the same chart sometimes, by making different things prominent, using dark/light elements, or perhaps bright/neutral.

It helps knitters like me who are learning about Fairisle design to see the alternatives, and that inspires me to experiment and put my own twist on things.
on 24 May 2012
I've just been learning how to do fairisle properly but was having difficulty knowing what colours to put together. This book is brilliant in suggesting interesting colour combinations. Highly recommended.
on 26 December 2013
I love this book. I like to make my own kids jumpers. This book is page after page of patterns. All easy and all in colour,
Tells how many stitches to a pattern repeat and shows the pattern repeat clearly, you do not have to work it out yourself.
If you are new to using two different colours at the same time, this is a good book to start with.
I am an experienced colour work knitter and still go to this book when I do not want a complicated design and want to be able to knit and natter.
on 22 January 2012
This is a lovely book, well thought out and beautifully photographed (full size at that). I can recommend it highly. There is just one thing to beware of - this is the identical book to Fair Isle Motifs. Designs is the cheaper edition, I was led astray by the lack of photo of the front cover, and bought both. I shall have a very happy knitting friend next week when I give her the 'spare' one. As a fair isle nervous knitter, the book gives confidence and has useful advice and information, so do buy it.