TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 8 August 2017
A fantastic resource for beginners and experienced crocheters. Covering basic stitches and techniques first, it then has chapters covering more advanced and decorative stitches; textures, shells, mesh and openwork, edging, bobbles, and Tunisian crochet which has always eluded me but is made clear here. The instructions for each stitch are extremely clear, with charts to help. This book will help you to learn from scratch or build on existing skill
on 24 September 2017
A great little pocket sized book of crochet stitches. This was really useful as I was getting confused between US and UK stitches as many patterns are in American which accounts for previous disasters. Clear instructions with pictures so you know what it should look like.
5 people found this helpful
on 5 October 2017
If your wanting to learn how to read patterns give this a try has the key on each page and charts as well , easy to read and use
on 15 February 2017
This book is superb and I would certainly recommend it . It is clearly written and has accompanying photographs to illustrate each stitch . There are chapters covering a plethora of stitches along with along with a section of photos of stitches to refer to should a particular one catch your eye . It is a comprehensive and extremely well constructed book and worth every penny . Thank you so much .
on 15 July 2013
I bought this book after it was recommended by a fellow crocheter, and I have to say it has been absolutely marvellous!

I'm self-taught when it comes to crochet, and having used the internet for all my learning I wasn't sure I really needed to buy a book, however there isn't a day gone by since I've had it that I haven't referred to it.

The layout is excellent, your basic 'how to get started' details for those new to crochet (or a particular technique) is given at the beginning, followed by a 'Stitch Selector' section that shows each stitch available in the book. These clear photos are a swatch of crochet done in that stitch, allowing you to browse through them when looking for inspiration. A page is then dedicated to each stitch, with a picture of the swatch, the pattern in diagram format, and easy to follow instructions. The number of multiple stitches required for each stitch is also provided, as well as a symbol key for the pattern diagram.

It really is a go-to for new crocheters and experts alike. Would definitely recommend.
on 9 November 2017
Great book for anyone who loves to crochet. Great for beginners or advanced. Would highly recommend it, beautiful pictures, easy to follow instructions. A must for all crochet fans.
on 30 July 2017
Lovely book. Not for a beginner though. This book provides lots of ideas for trying out your own projects but also understanding how stitches are worked.
2 people found this helpful
on 8 December 2013
I purchased this book earlier in the year using a gift voucher I received for a birthday present. I needed it to satisfy two requirements: 1, that it had a visual index of the stitches included; and 2, that it included a section on Tunisian crochet (which I was planning to learn).

Over the past several months of using this book, I have been very pleased! The visual index is really useful for inspiring and ruminating over project ideas and the instructions are general well thought out. The section on Tunisian crochet was straight forward and allowed me to teach myself this technique with very little trouble.

There is a good beginner guide at the start of the book (which I did not need as an experienced crocheter) that would be a useful resource for anyone starting out. However, it should be noted that the instructions and illustrations are not as detailed as some beginners books (or indeed a lot of the great tutorials to be found on the internet!) so some complete crochet-newbies may struggle. I have also been appreciating the pattern/stitch diagrams that accompany every entry in this book, as they have been helping me become more accustomed to reading stitch symbols.

Bottom line: If you are looking for a good reference book with lots of dependable classic stitches and techniques, this is a great place to start. The book is suitable for all abilities, though complete beginners may require other resources for learning certain techniques.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 March 2017
I have just learnt to crochet and the stitches in this book are easy to follow
VINE VOICEon 10 April 2014
I have been crocheting for a while now and love trying new things. This book is great for finding all those lovely stitches I've seen used on other peoples' projects but had no idea how to do. I only got it recently but I have used it so many times already! I only wish it was spiral-bound so it stayed open at a page easier. Apart from that, a really useful book that I'm sure will be used many, many times in the future and well worth the money.