on 20 July 2010
This is one of the best inspirational watercolour books I have seen. It shows how to develop a painting, and the writing style works for me! I would say to others, get this book and have a go! Its about the simple joy of watching watercolor move across paper, and (If I may summarise in this way), allowing the medium to do its thing. One of my favourite quotes, Jean talking about pigments.. 'I think of them as people and imagine they all have characters.' So, now I know why I have always got on well with that Alizarin Crimson, that is a 'friendly' pigment that will get on with anyone! Even if you have never painted before, this book will get you started in the right way, by taking the fear out of watercolor, and at this price, you can't lose!
on 21 July 2010
My eagerly anticipated book arrived last week and I have looked through it every day, finding something new and relevant every time. Jean's beautiful loose flowing style of painting is so outside my personal comfort zone but I am determined to follow her advice and loosen up my paintings. Even if you don't paint in watercolours, buy this book and leave it on your coffee table, it will promote lively art discussions with your friends.
on 20 July 2010
This book is inspirational - Jean has an incredible talent and she has a wonderful way of writing that not only holds your interest, compels you to read more but also makes you want to rush and pick up your brush. I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone!
on 22 September 2010
If you're tired of seeing , or producing, tight,formal watercolours..read this book.
It will giude you through the process of loosening up your work to produce new, vibrant paintings which will sing with colour and life.It shows you how to let the paint work for you and leads you to new, often random, exciting results, but still retaining the character of your subject.
A joy for those willing to experiment with this often trying medium.
on 1 November 2010
I found this book to be of great help and I believe that it would be most useful to all grades of painters. In particular it demonstrates how to "Loosen Up" which is the type of work that many of us strive to do. The the instructions, suggestions and demonstrations are easy to understand and I found it a delight to read. I have a number of books on painting techniques and this is one of the best.
on 25 October 2010
a book full of life lots of interesting idea and a new look at loose and free watercolour painting a book for the newcomer wanting an easy and fun attitude to painting and also for the experienced artist wanting a break fron the norm
on 1 September 2010
This is one of the best watercolour instruction books I have ever read, it has completely changed my way of painting with watercolour. I am no longer that tight, stressed out painter! And, it is SO much fun!
I can't recommend this book highly enough, the method of painting is logically explained via excellent step-by-step tutorials. The most important ingredient is WATER !
Buy this book today and enjoy!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 August 2010
Part of the How to Paint Series that is such good value. The image on the front cover of this book is very captivating. However some of the inner pages show paintings that look barely begun let alone finished. It's one thing to loosen up but another entirely to merely splash a bit of colour onto paper. Some of the work is truly beautiful - the dog, the elephant but others look like they have been executed in half an hour to fill the book. On the whole this book is inspirational because it is good to learn to paint loosely. The demonstrations are good and the production of the book is superb. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.
on 6 July 2011
I have been doing a local art course and was really put off the watercolour segment as there seemed to be so many rules and it was all very dull. Discovering this book showed me that it did not have to be this way although I doubt it is as easy as it looks. Makes you want to have a go though. The book is very thin, I would like to see a thicker volume. More for those with some watercolour expertise/knowledge but even if you don't pick up a brush you will pick up this book as the pictures are lovely. Similar in style to Maryse De May (esp Fuschias and chickens).
on 5 June 2015
Same old Watercolour format .Waste half the book with the same old boring details of brushes, papers, paints accessories etc that could be copied or repeated from hundreds of similar publications. I feel entitle to half my money back.When I purchase a book titled "colour and light in water colour" I want a book on the subject with detailed examples for my money.The price is too high to see page after page of stock photos of sterile tubes/pans of paint. I could make the same comments on many books of this price range and genre. NOT SATISFIED!