on 4 December 2009
Really super book with lovely creations to knit yourself. The patterns are easy to follow and I was astounded to be able to create such detailed dolls without being an expert myself. The book is to be enjoyed by anyone who can use a pair of knitting needles. Can't wait for the next book by this lady.
review imagereview image
11 Comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 20 May 2011
This lovely book arrived yesterday and I am so thrilled with it! I can't wait to get started on one of the dolls. The patterns are all lovely and I feel sure that the finished items will be little works of art. Not that little though as the overall size of the doll is 18" high! The book is very well written with very clear instructions and lovely photographs. I love the little comments made by the author for each doll. She gives the characters names and if like me, you love all things fairy like and magical it is easy to become absorbed in this book and see each character as a little 'person'!!! Sorry if that sounds a little sad but I LOVE this book!! If I could not knit I would still love looking through it as it is fascinating to see how each character is built as all the clothes are removable. A work of art!!! I will be so proud of my first doll! I haven't decided which to start first but when finished I will post a picture.If you like the look of this book I would urge you to buy a copy as you will not be disappointed!!!
on 5 May 2011
This is a well written book with lovely designs.The dolls are very elaborate and detailed - probably not a good idea for very young children but little girls will love dressing and undressing them. They are also sophisticated enough to use to decorate a tween or teenagers room.

The basic body is the same for all 10 dolls. The 1st three dolls are a variation of each other (an ugly witch, a young witch and 'mistress kate')where the colours and faces are different. The pirate is unique and looks like a pirate played by a rather famous actor! The father christmas and the wizard are variations of each other but the clothes are slightly different. the Princesses are the same except for the cloaks. the fairies are identical except for the colours used. All the dolls have accessories incl swords, wands, bags etc.Despite the 'sameness' of some of the patterns by just changing something simple like the colour or facial expression, you end up with a completely different doll. There are tips through-out the book on variations and changes and because the dolls are the same size the clothes can be interchanged.

The patterns are suitable for confident intermediate and advanced knitters - much too difficult for beginners.
I haven't started knitting yet but am going to this weekend - i can't make up my mind which character i want to knit!

Ps - i have started knitting the pirate and the pattern is easy to follow and the hands of the doll are just too cute, although a bit finicky to knit. This is a fantastic book!!!
on 2 April 2016
The book arrived this morning, ahead of time, so kudos to Wordery, and also for the free bookmark included...x

I love this book and can't wait to get started with it, it's exactly what I wanted. I hope to customise some of the patterns to make angel dolls and am delighted at how easy these patterns seem for such elaborate and gorgeous creations. I really hope the author is one who has chance to check her reviews because I want to switch to capitals and exclaim in text-speak, which is something I never do, about how fabulous these patterns are. And I wonder if you'd like to see pictures when I've made a lovely blokey angel for my next year Christmas tree?
on 24 April 2011
I've never got on with knitting before but when I saw this book I decided I had to learn. It is beautiful, with great photos of each doll and outfit. It does not have any 'how to knit' sections as I think it is intended for those who can knit already, but I can access 'you tube' for that. Although I am definitely a beginner, I have managed to follow the pattern and I have just finished my first doll and it turned out brilliantly. At last I am loving knitting! I recommend this to anyone who likes the look of the dolls on the cover. It is do-able! I've already planned my next few dolls, Princess Neridah, Breanna (in ocean colour scheme) and that fantastic pirate that we all recognised!
on 6 September 2017
A lovely book with delightful, clever patterns. I have made several of the dolls now and have always been delighted with the results, as have the recipients. HOWEVER ... the patterns are probably better suited for an experiences knitter as there are several mistakes in the instructions (especially in the pirate's clothes) and a novice knitter would likely have real problems. An experienced knitter would recognise that there are errors and could make the necessary corrections. Worth doing though.
on 30 November 2009
Creating a doll from this book will be a magical experience. The character slowly comes to life, with all the detail and embellishments explained in the text. I have had the pleasure and excitement of knitting Princess Neridah and with my own creative streak used contrasting colours to heighten the embellishments for her cloak, shoes and bag. I had fun making her wig and was delighted with the finished product. My three year old granddaughter will be the recipient of this beautiful Princess and I know she will be able to create her own stories for her. I am looking forward to finishing the other characters to make up a set.

Thank you Annette Hefford for thinking of these colourful characters and thank you Searchpress for supporting her creations.
11 Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 September 2010
I've just finished a pirate from this book and he has been joyfully received! It was a fun project - the instructions are easy to follow with helpful illustrations. My kids just like looking through the book and deciding which one they want next. The basic doll is the same for all the characters so they are endlessly customisable by swapping around clothes, hair styles etc. Would suit someone with at least a moderate amount of knitting experience who doesn't mind fiddly bits and lots of sewing up! If you're a keen knitter you will appreciate the cleverness of it e.g. hands with fingers knitted sideways in one piece or the knitted wigs that you make for the hair. Very satisfying.
on 17 July 2013
A wonderfull book, its a pleasure to make these, if you are making these as a gift for someone give your self plenty of time at least 4 weeks.
A little more instruction on putting the body together would not have gone a miss, and a little needle sculpture is required to get them just right.
If your looking for an heirloom item to make then this is the book for you.
on 18 June 2014
I purchased this book for myself and have now knitted 3 dolls. I have 3 more to knit for nephews and nieces. I have since purchased another book and given it as a present to my friend who is also an avid knitter. The patterns are easy to follow and look stunning when completed.