on 23 September 2013
This is an excellent book with good information for Oil Painters.
I particularly liked the ideas for changing colour schemes and atmosphere
of a scene, and there are several demonstration pages with stage by stage
instructions.
A small book but with very useful information.
on 22 December 2012
This is a book that should inspire the reader to have a go at painting landscapes. I dabbled with oils and alkyds over 20 years ago. After going to acrylic painting classes I felt the urge to take out my oils paints. For a complete beginner David describes materials (and how to customise them), composition, perspective, drawing, colour, and tonal value. He gives demonstrations of three very different landscapes. The only quibble I have is that I would love to have had more step-by-step landscapes in the book.
on 15 March 2017
Many helpful tips but the projects are very intimidating for a beginner. I felt it was designed to showcase the author's skill rather than help a beginner get started.
on 23 November 2017
This is a brilliant book for anyone like me who struggles to make an interesting picture of a landscape. His tuition is great without being over the top and I am so pleased to have found this book. It will transform my painting.
on 18 March 2014
I bought this book to gain more knowledge of technique and colour use in landscape painting. The artist really knows their subject, very clear information and beautiful paintings. Some landscape books out there are very mediocre but this one is excellent, would definitely recommend.
on 2 November 2015
Not my favourite book. Pintings are a little over-coloured and trite
on 21 November 2015
Very good book for beginners. Lovely pictures and straightforward explanations. Plenty of good a advice and tips.
on 18 May 2017
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 March 2017