Customer reviews

Watercolour Fruit and Vegetable Portraits
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 17 November 2009
Watercolour painting techniques used in botanical illustration demand high levels of skill. Although not an absolute beginner's guide, Billy Showell's book must be highly recommended because it provides such a clear series of photographs illustrating hand and brush in action as each painting progresses. These are accompanied by an equally clear & detailed text. The book provides an excellent and ongoing source of reference as (hopefully) continued practice turns technique into real skill.

No book can be a substitute for a really well taught class on botanical illustration (perhaps harder to find in your area than a copy of Fruit and Vegetable Portraits), but this one is closer to it than any other I have seen. Although Watercolour Flower Portraits is also very good, this is the one I would recommend for the less fussy compositions used in the artist's examples. These paintings are a genuine pleasure in themselves.
9 people found this helpful
on 6 June 2011
This book in an inspiration!. It has some very useful tips and projects to get on with. This is a must for people interested in painting Fruit and vegetables in water colour.
The author clearly has a gift and the wonderful thing is she is prepared to share it with us.
This book is ideally suited for serious beginners like me who has had some exposure to water colour techniques.
Although this book does elucidate basic techniques and methods.
3 people found this helpful
on 9 April 2018
I really love books like this so I'm a bit biased , I like to see how others produce their work
on 9 February 2016
Beautiful book with gorgeous illustrations. Billy Showell is a gifted artist and her descriptions are very clear. Some good tips and advice for painters. A few more 'how to's' would be great and would have raised my review from 4 to 5 stars,
on 19 July 2017
fantstic book very quick service just what i wanted excellent format if you want to learn hoe to paint botanical fruie and veg this is the book for you
on 17 September 2017
This is a lovely book, highly recommend.
on 25 March 2013
Mrs Showall's book is brilliant. She shows how to do the most difficult techniques. This book is good if you are interested in still life of fruit mainly, but her other books on flower painting are, in my mind the better.
If you are interested in watercolour painting this is a must.
One person found this helpful
on 29 July 2013
As always this artist shows detailed work. Her books are for watercolourists whereas I use coloured pencils and so the exercises are of little value to me but I can use the illustrations to copy . Anyone looking for detailed exercises however should find this book most useful. I did prefer her A-Z of flowers.
One person found this helpful
on 19 April 2012
Really good book to learn and use for practice work. I didn't know fruit and veg could be so beautiful. I have been an artist for many years but botanical art is a whole new thing for me. Totally different disciplines and totally absorbing to do. BOtanical art means 'don't rush to finish it', take your time a do a 'proper job'. I recommend this book.
3 people found this helpful
on 12 December 2017
Billy is the best, as usual. You need to have patience to follow her technique. But if you have it then you will have no limits.