Customer reviews

Giovanni Civardi's Complete Guide to Drawing (Art of Drawing)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 March 2010
This book gathers together in one volume several of Giovanni Civardi's guides to drawing. It contains Drawing Hands and Feet, The Clothed Figure, Drawing Portraits, Drawing Scenery, Drawing Techniques and Drawing Light and Shade. It covers a lot of topics but not well or in depth and as an experienced artist I found it unsatisfactory. It has a lot of drawings but is short on text. The artist shows you many of his works but doesn't tell you much about how he achieved the results he got. Lacking much text means it is doesn't offer much advice. Consequently, I wouldn't recommend this book to a beginner. If you must have this book, then buy the latest edition which includes The Nude. It is far cheaper than buying his drawing guides individually. Just don't pay full price. However, my advice is to look elsewhere. There are plenty of other books that will give you far more. For landscape drawing I strongly recommend Pencil Magic by Phil Metzger. For fantastic value go for the following volume published by North Light Books. which contains 4 useful books. You'll find it on Amazon under "Big Book of Drawing: Sketching and Drawing, Draw Real Animals, Secrets to Drawing Realistic Faces, Fast Sketching Techniques (Hardcover)by Cathy Johnson (Author)" Just check the prices of the individual books it contains and you'll see what I mean.
on 27 June 2017
very pleased with product And the service
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 May 2016
Excellent book
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 April 2008
I like this book and the authors style, the words are kept to a minimum with loads of interesting examples. Giovanni Civardis a really talented artist and provides plenty of inspiration but one of my favourite things about this book is the beautiful loose but accurate style he has and demonstrates, this is refreshing as a lot of art teaching books are based on the American obsession with photo realism- keep it loose and lively in that Italian way! I felt 4 stars only though, as maybe there could be a few more tips, but this is a great book and definitely touches the artist within. Its a weighty volume and even though paperback its good quality, you could even use it as a coffee table book. I can smell the pasta cooking while I sketch in the vineyard!
on 16 November 2009
I didn't really know what to expect from this book, a lot of the 'guides' to drawing are limited and basic at best but I was pleasantly surprised. I was over the moon when I flicked through it, not only is it informative and clear in its approach but it is also full of beautiful and inspirational drawings. It seems a lot easier to follow and is more interesting than the average 'guide to drawing'. After seeing the book I had to wonder why it was not more expensive, definately a bargain.