VINE VOICEon 29 December 2007
I saw this book a few days ago and then read the reviews which completely put me off. However, yesterday I was in a bookshop and flicked through it and it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be after reading the amazon reviews.

This series of books 'encylopedia of...' is a pretty good series and I have a couple of them already - 'Encyclopedia of papercrafts' is particularly good, but what needs to be understood is that it is an encyclopedia, which for me has always meant 'reference book' rather than practical 'how-to' guide. It contains an introduction to origami, some information about paper types, folding and then the basic folding techniques. There is also a handy glossary at the back and a gallery of 28 pages of 'Origami from around the world' to show what is possible by using the same basic folds and a little imagination. This is the reference aspect of the book and is designed to inspire you.

Having said that, this book does contain 32 step by step projects at what they call 'beginner', 'intermediate' and 'challenging' levels. Remember that depending on who you talk to or what you read, there are either only two basic folds or six basic folds! Everything you will do will be based on those folds regardless of what level you are working at or what you are trying to create.

At beginner level - the boxes are very useful as gift boxes, at intermediate level - the skeletal cube is interesting, the bear is cute, and the peacock is impressive, and at the challenging level, I really do like the double cube, and the flower.

So yeah, a bit of reference, an inspiration gallery and some practical how-to projects makes this a pretty good all-round book to have in your collection.
on 17 June 2009
I tried origami as a child and soon became frustrated because I could not follow the instructions. Coming back to it as an adult, I am thoroughly enjoying it and am introducing it to children during activity sessions in our local museum. This book gives all the basic information you need, and is well-presented. It also includes a number of interesting models, plus background information on origami and famous folders (people who invent new models). Some are amazing! This is not for children to use on their own, although older children would find it useful if given help, and once they have mastered the basic folds. It is a very good resource and I am having a lot of fun with it.
on 22 August 2013
A really good collection with clear pictures and explanations. Has easy, intermediate and hard sections which lets the user progress through. Good stuff, although some of them were a bit silly and could have done with more useful products,
on 10 January 2014
I am quite frustrated with it because even though it does offer the possibility of making quite a lot of origamis, the illustrations are not so clear, so maybe not good for people who are starting.
on 11 September 2013
Excellent book. Full of easy to follow instructions, at least in the beginning! Haven't worked my way through it all yet. Might take some time!
on 26 November 2016
I was given this book to review and these are my comments, I am a complete beginner to origami and this book does tell you the basics. Although the instructions and diagrams are clear and easy to understand I found the basic projects extremely difficult. This book would not be suitable for children at all. If you have experience with origami you might like the new pieces and there is some really advanced projects to try. I think I would have to go with a children's book to understand the basics.
on 28 November 2012
I was hoping for more "serviette" type foldings. But all instructions are clear and well explained. Lovely colour pictures too
on 30 August 2016
A decent selection of origami projects to take on. There's such a vast amount online however that the book is a little unnecessary. Good for a holiday maybe?
on 14 April 2013
A well-presented publication. I think the instructions are clear and easy to follow. It gives some good ideas for end-products.
on 9 January 2016
some great items in this book but not for beguinners as quite a few hard ones