on 18 August 2004
Watercolor Fairies is a lavish, profusely illustrated how-to watercolor book. Authors David Riche and Anna Franklin provide detailed description of various inhabitants of the faery realms and how to create them. The book features an in-depth look at the technique of four well known fairy artists as well as art by twenty more contemporary fairy/fantasy artists.
The book starts by outlining basic watercolor tools and techniques and goes on to show how to create the fairy world and various types of fairies. Various stages of four paintings are shown, along with descriptions of each artist's painting technique. Web sites for the all the artists included (Amy Brown, Stephanie Law, James Browne, Linda Ravenscroft, Jessica Galbreth, Paulina Stuckey, Myrea Pettit, Jacqueline Collen-Tarrolly, Brigid Ashwood, Kim Turner, Meredith Dillman et al), are listed in the back of the book. Whether you are a budding artist or merely enjoy imaginative art of the faery world, Watercolor Fairies is a joy to behold!
on 26 December 2006
I bought this book thinking it would help me as an artist. The first chapter gives some techniques which I found useful, and there are a couple of paintings which are "guided through" - i.e. the artists tell us how they did it, beginning to end. However, I was disappointed at the lack of techniques/skills shown in detail - most of this book showcases artists' artwork and types of faeries. As a beautiful reference book, this is a must - but if you are looking for a more learning-style book I would recommend Linda Ravenscroft's "How to draw and paint faeries".
on 24 August 2004
I couldn't wait for the book to arrive and i was even more excited when i had a quick look, when i eventually sat down to read it it is far better than i anticipated, the pictures are amazing, it explains about watercolour painting at the beginning, and there are also step by step paintings to try, if you have a love for fairys and anything magical and want to have a go at drawing them this is the book for you, excellent all round.
on 10 October 2005
I bought this book for my mother, who paints, yet often lacks a strong direction in her painting. I think some of her best work is her fantasy painting, so wanted to encourage this, and bought this book for her for Christmas. However, I love it so much I think I might have to buy myself one too! I find it inspiring and want to have a go at creating similar paintings and drawings myself!
on 1 September 2005
I have been searching for a book that shows techniques referring to the fae - this book inspires and breaks down each stage of professional artwork.
Instruction is clear and in an easy format, if you need to be creative give this book a try to bring out the magic in you!
Blessed be
on 18 August 2004
VINE VOICEon 22 March 2011
A lovely gift idea for any Faerie artist and Faerie-Folk lover. I bought this for myself as I paint and I love fantasy art. My sister has this book and I really liked it, so purchased a copy for myself. There are step-by-step ideas for the execution of ideas into pictures. There are many wonderful illustrations by today's top Faerie artists like; Linda Ravenscroft, Amy Brown, James Browne, Katherine Woodworth, Kim Turner, Rob Sheffield, plus many others. Certainly one for the collection.
on 6 August 2015
Really beautiful imagery - I don't particularly follow step by steps guides but I liked this book as the size of the images make fantastic references and it was really interesting seeing a range of artists in this area.
on 8 May 2014
excellent condition as stated.Arrived well in time of deadline.The book was exactly what i needed for the art group. I would definitely recommend amazon used books to any one thinking about it
on 28 February 2014
Purchased for an art group to replace a popular aging copy that had gone (temporarily) out on loan. A short description of each subject adds interest when browsing for inspiration.