on 11 May 2012
I am studying DTLLS part time in the evening, and this means whilst in the classroom and wishing to learn, the mixture of tiredness and theory tends to lessen the learning experience. The learning theorist aspect of DTLLS can seem daunting but luckily a friend of mine pointed me towards this book.

The book identifies the three main strands of theory and identifies all the theorists connected. However its key quality is in the writing style which is set at a level which allows a non academic to understand and actually enjoy reading. It was a god send to my work on the learning area of the syllabus and help take me from a very big low of questioning whether I could complete DTLLS to a position of confidence. Well worth the price!!
on 2 August 2012
This is a well written book that is clear and concise with the subjects. The nature of the writing is sometimes colloquial and this adds a nice personal touch to the subjects as you feel you are part of a class with a tutor that wants you to learn rather than with some books that seem more like lectures.

The book is broken down into short chapters with easy to digest sections within them and each introduces the subjects deftly that leads you to self discovery and many "eureka" moments long before it gives you the answer. This absolutely helped me to pass my module on Learning Theory this year - I highly approve of it!
on 15 March 2010
I am a PGCE (Post Compulsory) student. This book was on our reading list. Having borrowed it from the library I read it from cover to cover. I have never managed that before for a text book.

It is a very interesting and easy to read synopsis of all the main learning theories which also contains lots of references to other books for further details. So useful I bought my own copy.
on 7 January 2012
I have read so many books on Learning Theory but this one makes it so easy to understand. I am in the last year of my Hons Degree in Education and I am still using this book and think it will be one I will refer back to always. If you buy one book on Learning Theory this should be the one. Excellent- read from cover to cover and can't say I have done that with many theory books!
on 7 December 2010
I am studying for my PGCE in the Lifelong Learning Sector and found this book excellent for one of my first year assignments. I like to own books so that I can highlight useful areas of text for quick review later, however I found myself wanting to highlight practically all of it. The book is well structured and easy to read, it gives you a broad view of theories and their implications for practice, you can use the references to source further reading if you want to go into any one area in more depth.
on 6 May 2010
Having read what seems like hundreds of books on learning theories and classroom practice this has to be the best. I struggled to understand the complex theories but once I had finished this book it all became much clearer. A must have book for anyone interested in, or studying learning theories and classroom practice.
on 30 May 2009
If you only buy one book on the theory of learning and classroom practice make sure it is this one.
on 23 October 2010
This made the complex subject of learning theories understandable snd so much more interesting than any other book I have read on the subject. It was difficult to not just keep this as the only book in my bibliography!
Excellent guide!