on 6 December 2012
I tried to like the other series of audio plays, I really did. They were well written with good performances - particularly Colin Salmon as Avon, but they weren't the characters I knew and loved. I simply couldn't warm to them and indeed, had trouble telling which character they were meant to be unless they were addressed by name.
Whereas this.... It was such a joy to hear Michael Keating, Gareth Thomas and Paul Darrow playing Vila, Blake and Avon once more.
Ok, so it was a story with added verbal dialogue rather than a full play but in each case it was a story well told and brilliantly read. I hardly noticed the lack of additional cast.
For me, this is the item worth spending money on if what you are looking for is more of the original cast of Blake's 7. Accept no substitutes and cherish each remaining moment we get to spend with them.
on 27 February 2012
Big Finish are certainly the most qualified company these days to `resurrect' Blake's 7. I am so pleased that here, three of the key and most interesting characters are available.

These readings/plays are somewhere between a book reading and a full cast play. They are two handers and with simple electronic effects, any of the actors can be Zen too.

This set is very much early (season 1) Blake's 7, where Commander Raiker and Cygnus Alpha are recent events. If you are fresh from the TV series then Darrow's and Thomas's voice have changed slightly, Keating is very similar to the late 1970s.

Blake's 7 is my second favourite programme after Doctor Who; has been since the compiled VHS releases late 1980s and will always be highly regarded for me. The 52 episodes therefore have never been enough. We have had The Sevenfold Crown and The Syndeton Experiment on audio which helped. The Kaldor City range helped too although Paul Darrow was a different character. We had the remake with an entirely new cast, which as good as it was, is not what I personally want. Now at last we have the original actors again. Sadly Gan and Zen/Orac actors are no longer with us, and I am sure some of the actors will not want to participate now; but what a brilliant start for Blake's 7 fans to have Blake, Avon and Vila played by original actors.

The plays are 60 minutes in length and "two-handers" i.e. performed only by two actors.
1.1 The Turing Test - Paul Darrow, Michael Keating
1.2 Solitary - Michael Keating, Anthony Howell (Foyle's War)
1.3 Counterfeit - Gareth Thomas, Paul Darrow

Each one took me a few minutes to get used to, and then I settled down and enjoyed each, probably the first and the third more so. There are lots of truly Blake's 7 moments again particularly in the first and third as they are more conventional stories. The writers have caught the flavour of the show and the first season in particular. In fairness to Solitary it does showcase Keating very well, and is very Vila-esque. I certainly feel that each of these stories contributes to the Blake's canon.

Comparing to the Doctor Who ranges, The Liberator Chronicles vol 1 is just like having 3 Companion Chronicle stories. I got a lot of pleasure out of listening to these and I am already looking forward to my next listen as well as the next boxset. Well done Big Finish.
on 17 March 2012
Big finish does it again, I love Blake's 7 and have all the the DVDs and the audio books, so I was really pleased to discover that some of the original cast were going to do some audio dramas.
I haven't been disappointed these are great, some knowledge of the series would be helpful to understand the relationships between the characters and their personalities.
I found it a joy to listen to Paul Darrow (Avon), Michael Keating (Vila) and Gareth Thomas (Blake) and to hear Zen say confirm, made me tingle! it is like going back to the 70's hearing them bicker, Avon's asides, Vila's nervousness, It's all there for a whole new era. More please.
on 28 July 2012
Enjoyed it and nice to hear the original cast. Would have given it 5 if they had used the original sound effects. First 2 stories the strongest. Well worth the purchase and would recommend it
on 16 January 2013
It was great to hear the voices of the original Avon, Blake and Villia. I thought the stories were great and Gareth Thomas (Blake) brings back his charm along with great tact and leadership skills as the undoubtedly true leader of the team. I would recommend this audio cd to all fans, old and new. This has been a long time waiting to hear of the return of Blake's 7.
on 2 March 2015
Such fun to enter the world of Blake's 7 again. These are good stories and well presented. The Chronicles are only played by a couple of the cast on each CD - there are whole cast stories available - but they are great to listen to.
on 15 February 2016