on 9 February 2009
I am very found of Colin Baker's Doctor Who audioplays and think they are all of superior quality, but you've really got to forget about that when you listen to this.
This still in no way means this is bad, quite the contrary it's great fun to listen to, but you have to remember that it was based on a play that was rather light hearted in the first place. It's obviouly Doctor Who on it's most 'lets make something fun for the kids' level and the plot is therefor not very complicated. I'll admite it does have some tacky songs, but it's also got romance, adventure, space mercenaries, Cybermen and Daleks, so you just can't go wrong really.
It's probably not a story I'd listen to over and over again, but it is worth putting in any Doctor Who collection, especially if, like me, you regret the fact that you couldn't see it on stage in the first place.
I was lucky enough to go and see this - at the Congress Theatre in Eastbourne at the tender age of 17! I have only vague memories of the 'plot' such as it is, but at a time when the show was facing cancellation it offered some kind of hope for fans at the time. Best seen as a piece of frothy nonsense, I think it probably helped to undermine attempts at the time to keep the show on TV - the excesses on display epitomised the programme's descent into pantomime. However, this audio adaptation is pretty fun; as long as it's taken with an equally large pinch of salt! French companion 'Jason' is utterly random and has some terrible lines, nightclub singer 'Krystal' is a quasi-Mel from the TV series, and Colin Baker is well-suited to the daft plot - featuring Cybermen, Daleks, and galactic mercenaries.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 June 2012
I was there in the audience in 1989 in Glasgow I was excited to see Doctor Who Live in stage and I was not disapointed. I thought the story a bit silly though I would love to see it on screen as part of the TV show. I made the mistake of sitting in the front row of the stalls and so the smoke needed for the laser FX flowed off stage and on to us. It was fantastic and I realy enjoyed my self. A good one for Doctor Who Fans.
on 10 January 2015
Actually saw this with Jon Pertwee years ago. Great memories!