Customer reviews

on 24 September 2016
Lovely book with characters that look like my son and food he can recognise.
on 10 May 2017
Very good book, I love the fact that it has afro-american characters and how the family get together on special occasions. It shows the young reader what a family unit looks like. Not just mum and dad and siblings but extended relatives as well.
on 27 May 2017
My granddaughter loves this book. Not bad quality for second hand
on 11 May 2017
really lovely book.
on 21 May 2007
I bought this book for our pre-school, but fell in love with the book so much, I kept it for myself and my children. The pictures make you melt with the tenderness between Granny and Jay Jay. We read it over and over again, especially at bedtime, as it is all about snuggles and cuddles.

An absolute joy for any young child and adults who love warm family love.
on 28 August 2007
I bought this book for my grandson who lives miles away from me. This story book is a wonderful way to affirm our loving relationship and strong sense of family. I loved the illustrations and the emphasis of Sunday dinner reminds me of my, my children's and grandchildren's upbringing and the importance of families sharing food together. The cultural references reinforce this experience, along with the story celebrating the special, loving bond that often exists between grandparent and child.
on 2 December 2008
I bought this book for my daughter (age 3) after she watched it being read on CBeebies Tikkabilla. I love reading it to her. It's such a warm, loving story about a boy's visit to his Grannie's for Sunday dinner. The story flows really well and it's very good to read aloud, especially the descriptions of the food at dinner! The illustrations are wonderful and my daughter sits and looks at them for ages and pretty much knows the story off by heart. I would say this is easily one of the best children's books I have come across.
on 27 December 2014
Not bad
on 1 December 2011
I bought this book for my soon-to-be 4 year old son as a planned Xmas present. However, I recently pulled it and other gifts out in preparation for wrapping and he caught one glimpse of this book before I could hide them! Needless to say it is no longer an Xmas present.

He looked through the book sat on the floor quietly for 10 minutes. That was one week ago and this book has been read EVERY night since then. This is also the first book where he actually calls the book by its title, with passion, each time. He relates Granny to his own grandmother though he is not impressed that his grandfather was not there...! The images are so real to him - tonite when we got to the page with all the food dishes laid out, he declared he was hungry and his father and I had to feed him a second dinner. I think that says it all...

A truly wonderful, warm book that I think will be a favourite for a long, long time!
on 4 December 2010
I first read this book on a recent class trip to the library (Reception). It is a beautiful warm story that is delightfully illustrated. It is similar to So Much which was my son's (now 17) favourite book as a child. The illustrations are accurate as you would expect. I hope to get the opportunity to read it to many children in the coming years - and who knows, one day I will have grandchildren of my own to share it with. I hope to be just the kind of Nan that the one in the story is!!