on 27 June 2013
This is one of the first books I read when I started to read constantly. I've always had a soft spot for this series, similar to Harry Potter, because I kind of grew up reading it. Since I haven't read it since starting the blog, and the fact that the last book in the series, Oblivion, just came out, I thought it would be good to do a series spotlight on it.

I remember reading this when I was about eleven years old and being seriously creeped out. It brought back memories of that feeling reading it this time round too. This book definitely has elements of a classic horror story to it. The character gets lost in the woods, gets chased by demonic dogs and is living in a village of seriously crazy people. It definitely has the basics of a great creepy read and I thought it still managed it with me reading it eight years later.

I still really enjoyed Horowitz's writing. It has this simple structure to it that makes you breeze through the book in no time. It's also got bucket loads of suspense and that creepy factor that sends a shiver down your spine. It's simple and effective.

Raven's Gate's plot is great but you can definitely tell it's the beginning of a series. It mostly feels like an introduction into Matt and Richard's new world and an introduction into the series' plot as a whole. Two of the main characters are introduced and you can tell that a lot more are going to be included along the way. It doesn't really take anything away from the main plot of the first book but it has a certain kind of charm in itself. You feel that you're at the start of a great journey if you want me to be cheesy about it. However, if it was a stand alone, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much - I have a load of questions I need answering.
on 20 February 2015
Exactly as described, arrived on time
on 18 July 2016
Bought for Year 7. Looks interesting.
on 9 January 2006
This Book is FANTASTIC!!! I couldn't put it down. i was enthralled by the gripping storyline. I read it in about 6 hours and i couldn't put it down!
The book is absolutely brilliant and i can't wait for the next one - Evil Star to come out!
on 5 February 2014
Although a fan of Anthony Horowitz, I had yet to complete a series of his and I am pleased to have finally broken that trend with the Power of Five.

The main character, Matthew Freeman, comes across as a typical teenager who winds up on the wrong side of the law, although I would have preferred he not come across so much as the victim of circumstance. Personally, I find the whole 'orphaned hero' characterisation to be a bit tired but I understand why this had to be done for Matthew.

The visualisation was easy due to the way Horowitz took time and care with not just his characters but his settings also. Things began to pick up more though when Matthew was joined by a secondary protagonist because, as a character, Matthew comes across a little dull in my opinion and I began to grow tired of him, caring less and less for his ordeal because of this.

Despite my personal indifference to Freeman, I enjoyed the book and the suspense that translated well on paper and I hoped when I finished reading that future installments would improve Matthews character.
on 18 April 2006
I read all the Alex Riders a few years back and since then this writers one of my favourites. You can't beat him for adventure and pace.Not the best book to start reading when you're trying to sleep!

This one tells of another orphaned boy with a great destiny in store for him. (Funny how that never gets dull!) The supernatural aspect of the adventure is a cool new angle and makes the world of this hero (Matt Freeman) a pretty lairy and scary one...

Sort of like Alex Rider-meets Harry Potter and they go into one of those spooky old Dr Who adventures where ordinary-looking villages hide weird satanic goings-on.
on 30 June 2015
Great, just what I expected
on 2 August 2005
This book is great and sets the scene for the beginning of a promising new series. I don't think Anthony Horowitz has made a similar character to Alex Rider in Matt Freeman as Matt is a convicted criminal and the events that he is involved in are supernatural while Alex Rider is in the 'normal' world. Couldn't put the book down, it was a very enjoyable read and I can't wait for the next one.
on 20 June 2012
Got this book a while ago. I remembered reading it a few years ago when it first came out, decided to pick it up and read it again and I liked it.

Some parts of the book reminded me of the Demonata series by Darren Shan so I thought this was book was an inspiration from that series. Although I'm not much of a fan of Anthony Horowitz, I did like this book. I felt like a lot more could of happened in this though as I felt some parts were rushed. (Mainly the ending) But it was a great book, couldn't put it down at times, but also at times I WANTED to put it down. Overall 4/5*
on 16 October 2014