Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 18 April 2003
I bought My Friend Bear after getting the other books - 'Its the Bear' and 'Where's My Teddy?', and I was not disappointed. My Friend Bear is more of a story than 'Where's My Teddy', so it is a better length for a night time story. My daughter also loves the pictures, which are very similar in style to the other two books. All in all, a very good book - if in doubt, I would recommend getting all three!
on 11 March 2001
Another hugely entertaining book with Eddy and his Teddy making friends with the Bear.My three year old daughter has memorised all the words and my two year old son loves to get the last word of each rhyming sentance-a great aid to start them reading and interested in books.
on 15 January 1999
This is my daughter's all time favourite book (and believe me, we've read them all!!). My Friend Bear is beautifully illustrated with lots of fluffy teddies, strong colours and a memorable text. All children, between two and five, will be able to identify with Eddy who, one day, realizes that his best friend Freddy, the teddy, just isn't as much fun as a real live friend would be. A perfect story for the more sensitive child. The moral of which is, that anyone can make a friend. All you have to do is put your fears behind you, summon up all your courage and just get out there and try!
on 24 August 2014
I thought the rhymes were good - not forced at all. A nice sequel - it made my 5 year old grandson laugh but I should think a three year old would get the joke. I love nature and wasn't really happy that Eddy found the wood frightening. This third book makes it a much less scary place.
on 6 November 2015
A must have book. This, along with the 2 sequels - 'It's the Bear' and 'My Friend Bear' - form an ongoing story for young children to want to know "what's going to happen next?" Excellent illustrations and the rhyming text a good vehicle for literacy work.
I used it when teaching and now buy the 3 books as gifts. Don't know why the cover illustrations have changed from the original, but still excellent.
on 8 June 2000
I read the book three times before I read it to my son! We both love it.
on 3 December 2012
I bought this for my daughter's 4th birthday and I really can't recommend it enough. The rhyming text is great and it's not long before she started remembering it all. Story is funny and it is a great bedtime (or anytime) read. Would advise you not to hesitate in purchasing it.
on 13 March 2000
My four year old and I discovered this wonderful book in our local library and I just had to buy it. There are few books that touch a nerve with adults and children alike. This one has us in giggles every time we read it.
on 10 July 2011
This is the second part of the story where Eddy and his teddy, Freddy meet the bear and his giant teddy again in the woods but this time become good friends. A lovely ending which highlights the importance of friendship to young children. The book is written in a rhyming style which both myself and my class love. I am a HUGE fan of Jez Alborough books and this is no disappointment. I used this story originally in the literacy unit Predictable Patterned Language with my year 1 class and it has now become a hometime fave!
on 7 October 1998
My Friend Bear is the tale of a small boy who is completely lonely apart from his teddy bear and he has a chance meeting with a grizzly bear with the exact same problem. Eddy, the little boy, encounters an extremely large teddy whilst walking in the woods,as he complains to his teddy that he is lonely. Eddy knows that the large teddy belongs to the bear living in the wood and is convinced that the bear is ferocious. Whilst hiding behind the large teddy, Eddy discovers that the so called ferocious bear has the exact same problem as him, that of being lonely. As Eddy hides behind the Teddy he ends up accidently making the bear think that his teddy can speak. Jez Alborough's ability to entertain young children is absolutely outstanding! The entire story rhymes which makes it all the more entertaining. I have read many books to my four and five year old children and not many have reached the same standard as this. Many children's books tend to go into too much detail for young children to understand especially if they rhyme. But this book had my children giggling until the end. The story is not only clever because it rhymes but also in the fact that Jez Alborough has taken an animal seen as dangerous and turned it into an emotional wreck who cries and has no friends. The book gives out a special message of friendship and not to judge someone because of what you've heard, which is easily understood by very young children. My own children have voted it their favourite book. Well done Jez Alborough!