on 20 November 2016
Fast paced action. Engaged 12-14 yr olds who did not want to read!
on 11 August 2017
Good value
on 17 June 2017
Excellent book, can't wait to read the rest of the series. Reading as a bedtime story to my 13 year old autistic son, hard to say who is enjoying it more!
on 27 July 2017
This is like James bond, Harry potter and percy Jackson all rolled into one. I recommend for fans of those series.
on 14 April 2017
Thanks
on 12 August 2017
Excellent read.
I volunteer in a school, and my main job is to encourage children to read for pleasure, particularly boys. Many of the boys in the older classes (primary school so ten and eleven year olds) are obsessed by the Alex Rider books, of which this, Stormbreaker, is the first in the series. I decided that I should read it so that I could get to grips with the kind of thing they enjoy and meet them where they're at, rather than expecting them to start with Pride and Prejudice.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is plot and action heavy and the pace is fast. The chapters are short and punchy and there isn't a great deal of philosophy or serious emotional stuff going on here. The book starts with the assassination of Alex's uncle, the man who has been his guardian since he was a baby, and Alex copes with his loss remarkably well. The story just speeds forward onto the next action sequence and the next. It is written very much like a computer game, one problem gets solved, the next one immediately springs up, and it is generally one which requires a great deal of physical action and not a terrible amount of anything else.

It was silly, and implausible, and at times, my rather more rational grown up head just wanted to shout 'no! that's rubbish!' but the part of me that just appreciates a very silly action romp shouted it down.

It is a relatively quick read, which I think is also an enormous part of the appeal.

I would say ten is probably the youngest I would recommend this too unless you have a particularly precocious reader on your hands. There is a lot of violence, a lot of casual death and some fairly gruesome events which may not sit well with younger readers/listeners.

If you are looking for something if your child has read the Alex Rider books I would suggest trying Charlie Higson's young James Bond series which are the next level up, slightly wordier, slightly more thought provoking, but just as exciting.
on 22 January 2014
This book is the coolest thing I've ever read. It's exciting, thrilling and dangerous. I'm definitely going to read Point Blanc.
on 21 March 2017
Our son 11 loves this book he can't wait for the next one to arrive
on 8 June 2017
Good fast read. Propelled by good characters