Customer reviews

Mrs Large wasn’t feeling very well, but she had lots of chores that needed doing. Mr Large sent her back to bed, telling her that he was in charge for the day and that he, and the children, would do everything that needed to be done.

How much rest will Mrs Large get? With noisy screaming children, the littlest elephants keep coming into the bedroom, and lets not forget the burnt lunch. Not a lot it would seem.

The Large Family books were first published in the 1980’s. Since then they have grown in popularity, and there was even a TV series based on them.

These beloved stories all feature a lovable, normal family (even if they are elephants), comprising of Mr and Mrs Large, and their four children, Lester, Luke, Laura and the baby Lucy.

What makes this series a firm favourite is how relatable to real life that they are. I can especially relate to this particular story, because I’m not allowed to be sick as mayhem would break out in my house.

Jill Murphy didn’t just write this wonderful book, she also illustrated it, and they are some beautiful illustrations throughout that certainly capture the heart of the story.

Preschoolers, and young children will adore this book. The Large Family books have been read by families for many years, and long may it stay that way.

Reviewed on Whispering Stories Book Blog
*I received a free a copy, which I voluntarily reviewed
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 July 2017
This is a fun story that many parents will relate to. Mrs Large wakes up feeling unwell so Mr Large says she should go to bed and he will take care of everything, but things don't go according to plan. The story in this book is quite simple and funny with Mrs Large repeatedly interrupted by all the things that go wrong. Despite Mr Large being in charge of the family and the housework, he's not very good at it and Mrs Large is disturbed again and again and she finds it very hard to get some proper rest.

The story has an appeal both to kids and adults. It's funny with the way that Mrs Large is constantly interrupted and the silly things that go wrong are ones that plenty of parents, especially those with a big family, can relate to. The images are what really makes this story and I love how detailed they are. I really love Jill Murphy's Large Family illustrations. Though I haven't read many of her books, every time I see pictures of the Large Family I'm just drawn into them so much. They are lovely and detailed and funny all at the same time, it's fun to notice little things such as the way the elephant family hold everything (not with their hands but their trunks). The characters are also very expressive and you can follow the story easily just by looking at the pictures.

The ending is a good one and the whole story is a bit silly but I think plenty of adults and kids will really enjoy reading this. Although a review or two I've spotted complained about the gender stereotype of the dad being useless versus the mum who is always busy, I don't think any kids would even pick up on this and many families will probably recognise someone who is a bit useless at certain things, whether they're the dad, mum or someone else. Overall a great and fun book.
-Thanks to Walker Books for a free copy.
review image review image review image
I read the review that was 1 star by CBH and I can understand where he is coming from. From a man's point of view, this book could be perceived as being a bit sexist. However, being a woman myself, I see it from a female and a mother's point of view and can relate to Mrs Large trying to get some sleep when she is not feeling well and being constantly interrupted all the time by noise and children coming into the room every two minutes.

I found the story funny and I do not think it is meant to be offensive in anyway but more funny and showing just how annoying it can be when you are really not feeling well but children just love you and want your attention. Personally I would have probably shouted loud enough that they wouldn't have ventured into my room after the first time anyway.

It is funny and true to life. Children are unpredictable and especially very young children that stay at home with the mother. The children in the book all try and help the dad to do the chores while their ill mother tries to rest. It is a typical scenario and in this book it shows the dad having a lapse of judgement and watching foodball and burning the dinner. It could have been shown where the dad was ill and the mom had to fix the car or a different roles reversed situation and it may have sat better with people. The book is slightly dated in the view that a woman would be the one that is at home and the man is not used to looking after the house or taking care of the children but to be frank, that is the situations in a lot of homes. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a Mr that does the job of the Mrs anyway but luckily this is changing in society and men do take on bigger roles in the home than before.

The pictures are bright, colourful, cheerful and show exactly what is going on in great detail. Everyone loves Mrs Large but kids should learn to give their mom space and Mr Large should be doing more around the house.

I received a pre-release (1st June 2017) copy of this book from the publishers.
I loved these with my first son, and am thrilled that I'll get to read them again with my second.

The Large Family are a close-knit group that you can identify with - and it's more because the focus is on the parents rather than the children. With four young elephants, Mr and Mrs Large have their work cut out for them. And in this story, Mr Large takes charge when his wife has a bad cold and needs to rest for the day. How will he cope and just what will they all get up to? Will Mrs Large manage to get some rest?

As a parent, these hit a nerve and you relate to the parents throughout. The children's escapades, seen as they constantly interrupt their mum's sleep show just how Mr Large is getting on and are absolutely hilarious (watching the football and letting lunch burn, hence the sandwiches).

It ends on a preciously wonderful family shot, full of love and wry humour.

The book is quite word-heavy, I always found age 2.5-3 was a good point to start reading this, depending on a child's concentration ability. The illustrations are superb, colourful and produced with great care, and do keep the attention and take up around half the book.

If you like this one, get the whole series. They'll stand the test of time.

With thanks to Walker Books for the sample (2017 edition) copy, sent for review purposes.

If you like this one, get the whole series. They'll stand the test of time.

This is a delightful story about a family (a family of elephants !) rallying around when Mrs Large doesn't feel well. There is the odd mishap but nothing too serious but Mrs Large doesn't really get the peace and quiet that she wants. The book is designed to be read to children rather than for them to read it for themselves and there is a lot of text on each page. The pictures are well done with lots of funny things to talk about when reading aloud.

There are just a couple of moments in the text which made me wince. Mr Large is "kindly" making the children's breakfasts for example and an assumption that the the mother is responsible for all the housework and shopping as well as entertaining the children. The book was originally written over 30 years ago and I think that these lapses can be easily overlooked - it would be easy enough to engage a child in a conversation about what chores need to be done and who does them and lead on to a discussion about everyone contributing.

Excluding that small niggle, however, this is a beautifully produced and illustrated book just waiting to be read aloud. I received a free copy of this book from the publishers
I have to say how much i enjoyed this book, only because i recognised the whole scenario. Mrs Large is ill and goes to bed, leaving Mr Large in charge of the house and children, he's pretty useless,and Mrs Large doesn't get much of a rest. Having grown up in a large family in the 1970s and 80s, if my mum was ever ill, and had to go to bed (which wasn't often,) she was forever interrupted and bothered by all us children, and quite frankly, my dad was useless. He DID burn our dinner, and didn't know where anything was kept, which meant numerous trips upstairs to my poor old mum. So because of those vivid memories, this book made me laugh. I know that one reviewer wasn't happy with the story at all, and appeared quite angry, but I'm afraid if you have a household with a useless father, then everything IS put onto the Mother, and if anyone says this story never happens, I'll call them a liar. It DOES happen. Is it funny? Well, no, but this is a story book, and meant to be lighthearted, so I don't see anything wrong here, and can't see why anyone should be offended
Thank you to walker books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review
I love the Large family & have enjoyed reading their previous books with several children. In my opinion this one is no different. It is light hearted and humorous.
Mrs Large isn't feeling well so Dad takes charge for the day with seemingly disasterous results. The family are loud and poor Mrs Large doesn't get much sleep. Poor Baby Large misses his Mummy and wants hugs all day. I know the story is quite cliched with Dad struggling at housework and cooking. However, it is also a good lesson that sometimes Mummy is unwell and the family have to work together as a team to try to get things done. When you actually look at the story, Dad and the children do manage to get things done although maybe not quite as smoothly as Mrs Large might have done but sometimes that is okay.
The pictures are bright and eyecatching with lots to talk about.
I liked this book in the series and it would provide a good talking point for a family where one adult is unwell or things have to happen differently for a while.
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.
Jill Murphy's books are delightful. We still have Peace at Last from 35 years ago, and this is another worth hanging on to. Mr Large in Charge will chime with many parents and grandparents. It’s a delightful and amusing story of family life for pre-schoolers and probably many an older child, not to mention their parents. The illustrations, big, bold and colourful, are perfect for youngsters.

Our grandchildren love it, just as they do Peace at Last and others from Jill Murphy. We'd rather read "vacuuming" than "hoovering" but perhaps we’re alone in that. Call me a pedant, if you like.

Mr CBH complains in his 1-star review that the father is stereotyped. He seems to take it far too seriously. The truth is that many fathers do fit the stereotype, and in any case what makes this book special is the way the children behave, not the father (whose actions simply add to the hilarity of the story).

Our thanks go to Walker Books for sending us an advance copy of Mr Large in Charge.