on 7 January 2013
I was given this for Christmas as I'd hinted that I would probably like to have a read of it. I wish I hadn't bothered. If it had been any longer I would have discarded it at chapter nine. I have been riding for a long time and if this guy had been riding with me I would have left him behind at about day 4. He whined and complained his way across America to a point where I only kept reading in the hope that he would actually find the odd thing that he liked. He did, but they were few and far between. Almost everything he came across was either criticized in his horrible sarcastic way or he found fault with it. I like a good laugh but this wasn't it. His attempt at humour did not work and how his American wife puts up with his bitching I don't know. Perhaps the book should have been written by her. I also got bored of him telling me how scared he was and how hard he was finding it. Even after 3000 miles he was still complaining when in the end I just switched off. The whole book was a constant dig at the American people. I have ridden many thousands of miles in the USA and there is a lot of good things to see and people to talk to, but the main impression I got from this book was that he found fault in nearly everything and really didn't want to be there. I will put this down to the fact that he was trying to be funny. Writing comedy is an art which this guy does not have. Even the Paedo hotel jibe told me more about him than it did about the hotel owner.
There were one or two little gems in there but overall, the book was ruined by his constant complaining.
on 3 December 2011
On a damp grey saturday morning in London,every Harley owner must dream of a trip like this.
Written with a great English sense of humour, combined with a pages of facts and history on small town America and of course the Bike !
I could easily be on a plane to LA tomorrow, I can smell the desert from here.
on 10 December 2012
All credit to anyone who is prepared to put the effort into keeping a record of a long journey like this. Sadly the author offers no real insight into the places he visits, and his prose is as banal as it is vacuose. Really hoping to be kept interested. Wasn't.
on 20 March 2013
I found the cover was cut from top to bottom other than that the inside was in excellent condition. I have found it a strange book to relate to as the author was afraid of bikes and yet he gets one bigger than the one he already struggled with.
on 15 December 2012
Yes,I am British,and lucky enough have done what this guy has done,and more.I read this book after completing my first trip around small town Mid-West USA.I then read the book again after recently completing my second trip,this around California.The author is very good and accurate at portraying the experiences and encounters that is small town USA.I can relate and understand the extreme emotions that you encounter on such a varied adventure.Anyone who is contemplating doing this.I would recommend both reading the book and of course doing the trip on a Harley.
on 25 November 2011
Are you British? No motorcycle experience? Ever wanted to quit the executive rat race and ride a Harley Davidson across America before you're too old? Yeah me too. But this guy actually did it and lived to tell the tale. Hilariously funny account of the journey and required reading for armchair bikers like me. Enjoy. (Hmmm maybe I'm not too old after all.....)
on 12 July 2013
Would have liked a bit more details on the ride, but enjoyed the book. Good to see a guy with money riding the bike rather than in a garage. Got to respect him for that.

Was a honest account and I would read another of his books.
on 8 June 2014
For such an esoteric subject this is very readable. I hugely enjoyed the authors observations of his experiences as a novice both on a Harley and as an immigrant. Most lovely was the respect and affection he has for his wife.
on 4 November 2011
a very good insight into small town america,funny but also very informative.I found this book a good motorcycle travel story, well worth reading
on 23 June 2013
Interesting enough read but not truly remarkable but equally not
unexciting.Perhaps when I pick it up again I might see something else in it.